sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2024 1:25 am  #1

Documentary On True Radio Original Phil Hendrie Is Coming Soon

Not sure how many here know the name Phil Hendrie, but his syndicated radio show used to air on WGR-AM when it was an all talk station. 

The guy was a true original who did things no one else ever did, actually satirizing radio talk shows even as he was doing one. Hendrie had this incredible talent to think up outrageous situations, play both himself and a "guest" and then see how listeners would react. And he did it all in real time, somehow being able to use a mic and a regular telephone to fake like he was talking to someone. It was pretty remarkable. 

I remember one bit he did where had on a "father" of a son who had just passed away and the funeral was on the same day as Super Bowl. So the "dad" decided to stay home and watch the game, because that's what his son would have wanted. The outraged calls from listeners who weren't in on the joke came fast and furious, as the "dad," played by Hendrie, tried to defend himself.

Now Hendrie is the subject of a new documentary that will be available on a number of platforms in March. He was not everyone's taste, but you can't say he wasn't a 100% radio original. And the testimony from some famous names in the film shows he had quite an influence. 

Freestyle Digital Media Picks Up Documentary ‘Hendrie’ About Talk Radio Comic Phil Hendrie

February 16, 2024 8:05 am  #2

Re: Documentary On True Radio Original Phil Hendrie Is Coming Soon

Take my money! Phil Hendrie was a comic genius.

For me, the best part is when people would call in thinking one his "Guests" was a real person.

February 16, 2024 8:10 am  #3

It was certainly an unusual show. I remember tuning in for the first time not knowing what it was about and thinking what idiots the guests of the day were. He came up with the most outrageous "topics" and there was a great divide - you were either in on the joke that the whole thing was a put-on or you took it seriously. Those reactions were the best part of the show. 

Not to mention his recurring characters, like Bobbie Dooley, Ted Bell and all the others. 

It's amazing to watch him do it, which you can see in the example below. 

February 16, 2024 11:32 am  #4

Phil Hendrie is an absolute genius when it comes to radio. Back in the late 80's to early 90's era, I can't pinpoint the exact year now, he was the evening host on an Atlanta AM at 640 . Once I got far enough out of the GTA in the big rig I drove then, I could get his show in the cab . I was saddened when he left that station, but, a few years later, I found him again on another one , of which I  have no recollection of now. I do recall him saying back in the Atlanta timeframe that he had some connection to Canada. He did do a skit about his father playing in the CFL and I found this page with a clip regarding Canadians. Hope fully the link works... https://archive.org/details/phil-hendrie-best-of-1995-10-urine-stick

February 16, 2024 12:37 pm  #5

Phil Hendrie is/was a legend. He voiced every member of the Waterfall family on Futurama.

February 23, 2024 7:38 am  #6

Jim Richards had Hendrie on his show Thursday night. Turns out Hendrie, whose show once aired on CFRB overnights, has dozens of relatives in Canada - including his mother and a former Toronto police officer. He also notes he fell in love with radio while his family was driving back to Toronto from California to visit family here and how he eventually got into the business he fell in love with on that trip. 

Phil Hendrie interview

February 23, 2024 3:07 pm  #7

The CFRB page loads, but no buttons  will work for me. 

February 23, 2024 4:13 pm  #8

I'm sorry to hear that. It's a great 20 minutes. Do you have an autoplay killer extension on your browser? If so, is it disabled on that page? Or could you try another browser instead? (Like Firefox or Chrome?) Just trying to find a way around your dilemma. 

If that doesn't work, try the free Apple Podcast page here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/thursday-february-22-hour-3-hendrie-great-pods-canadian/id1502619425?i=1000646470816

February 23, 2024 4:31 pm  #9

mic'em wrote:

The CFRB page loads, but no buttons  will work for me. 

If you use an ad-blocker, you might need to wait up to 20 seconds for the pre-roll ones to be done (that you don't see) and those controls then become visible. Alternatively, as RadioActive says, try disabling/safelisting or another browser temporarily (or, say, Firefox in an Incognito session).

February 23, 2024 7:55 pm  #10

Ya, I use Avast, I will try in chrome, it should work then. Thanks for the advice gentlemen.