sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2024 2:44 am  #1

Paramount+/Peacock merger?

I figure this might eventually happen, since there are so many streaming choices out there...

Paramount Plus and Peacock are considering merging.https://www.techradar.com/streaming/watch-out-netflix-paramount-plus-and-peacock-are-considering-merging

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 20, 2024 7:44 am  #2

Re: Paramount+/Peacock merger?

If this were to happen, it poses an interesting question: what happens to Canada?

Paramount+ is available here.

Peacock isn't.

Does that mean we only get half the shows? Seriously, would this disenfranchise subscribers here? Would they need a separate feed for Canada, which may be more trouble than it's worth? How would they work this out? Lots of questions, but few answers. If you're a Paramount+ subscriber here, keep an eye on this one. While you can. 

February 20, 2024 8:40 am  #3

Yes RA, way too many questions, and much too early.  Why not wait and see if they actually merge, before hitting your well used panic button.  Canada will survive I am sure.

By the way Peacock is only available in the US and nowhere else.  Most of their schedule is a repeat of previous NBC programming from the day before and old NBC shows.   Besides you already have a US VPN so you can get them.  So why all the excitement over nothing?  

There is a reason why all of these US streamers are losing their shirts.  Too many of them, and not enough people willing to pay for programming that is often already available elsewhere. That's why many are turning bit by bit into cable channels with commercials. 

February 20, 2024 9:17 am  #4

Wow, that's a bit of an overreaction. I'm not panicking in any way. I'm just asking a question.

I don't happen to subscribe to any streaming services at the moment, so it won't affect me in any way. I just thought - and still do - it's an interesting question about what would happen if one service that's available here merged with one that isn't and how that would affect Canadians. 

Seems like a pretty innocent query to me and one worth asking because it certainly seems like something that will eventually comes to pass. Whether this is the test case, remains to be seen. 

February 20, 2024 9:37 am  #5

Hahaha...please..  

February 20, 2024 9:48 am  #6

I'm the one who knows what I meant about this post. You can interpret it however you want but as the author, I can assure you it was merely an innocent question. Your insistence that it's not, implying I'm lying, is frankly, kind of insulting. You're usually better than that.

February 20, 2024 10:28 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I'm the one who knows what I meant about this post. You can interpret it however you want but as the author, I can assure you it was merely an innocent question. Your insistence that it's not, implying I'm lying, is frankly, kind of insulting. You're usually better than that.

I rest my case...

February 21, 2024 3:48 am  #8

The merged service would have less content in Canada.
Paramount+ already has far fewer options in Canada than the US.
In the US, you can watch your local CBS affiliate, as well as several other channels live. In Canada, you only get CBS’s online news channel.
In the US, you get hundreds of documentaries from the Smithsonian channel, almost none of which are available on the Canadian service. I’m sure there are other differences I hadn’t noticed.

February 21, 2024 11:03 am  #9

I think the more important questions is, those with VPN...what happens to the price? 
I also agree with RA. Good questions.

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 21, 2024 11:04 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.