sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2024 8:10 am  #1

The Best NHL Announcers And Analysts Of All Time

I was expecting to disagree with these choices.. After all, this is an American site based in California. What could they possibly know about the best hockey announcers? But I was pleasantly surprised. They ticked many of the right boxes as far as I'm concerned, including Canadian legends like Foster Hewitt, Bob Cole, Jim Robson and Howie Meeker. And the first name on the list is the Leafs own Joe Bowen. 

I have to admit I wasn't familiar with all of them since some are on in their own local markets. (Although I would have included Marv Albert. His work calling the New York Rangers games on WNBC in the 70s was incredible.) But if you're going to try and list the GOATs, this isn't a bad start. 

The best NHL announcers and analysts of all time

February 19, 2024 8:21 am  #2

Re: The Best NHL Announcers And Analysts Of All Time

I'm a life long Leafs fan but Danny Gallivan is my all-time #1 fav play-by-play guy. 

#2 is our own Joe Bowen.

The most boring hockey announcer was Jim Hughson.

The absolute worst piece-of-crap announcer is Bruin's Jack Edwards.

February 19, 2024 9:10 am  #3

What about Dick Irvine, Foster Hewitt and Dave Hodge

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 19, 2024 9:19 am  #4

Irvin not Irvine.   Hodge was a host not an analyst.

February 19, 2024 9:42 am  #5

Danny Gallivan and Rick Jeanneret are at the head of my list.

Not a fan of Joe Bowen, but then again I''m not a Leaf fan. Go Wings go!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 19, 2024 1:43 pm  #6

Have not read the article yet but they probably mention Dan Kelly and Gus Kyle from KMOX St Louis. Kelly was also on the US network afternoon games that were carried on Saturday or Sunday afternoons

Here's a clip from a great set of reel to reel tapes I found at The Salvation Army in 2019. This gent recorded everything Radio, TV and even albums but in single quarter track mono and inexplicably even stereo albums where all you hear is one channel. 

Is this Bill Hewitt with Brain McFarlane doing the color ?

Maple Leafs Playoff Clip 1964 ? 

Last edited by Fitz (February 19, 2024 2:17 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 19, 2024 1:44 pm  #7

Kelly is on the list but not Kyle. 

February 21, 2024 4:07 am  #8

Pat Foley, Rick Jenerette and Joe Bowen are three that I don’t agree with but that list is otherwise spot on. It’s good to see Jim Robson who did simulcasts on TV and radio for years, on the list. He isn’t well known in central and eastern Canada but he did the Canadian call of Wayne Gretzky’s 802nd goal which passed Gordie Howe, and a Mike Bossy New York Islanders Stanley Cup winning goal in the early 80s.

March 3, 2024 9:50 pm  #9

g121 wrote:

I'm a life long Leafs fan but Danny Gallivan is my all-time #1 fav play-by-play guy. 

Dale Patterson wrote:

Danny Gallivan and Rick Jeanneret are at the head of my list.

I came across this while doing some research. It's a vintage ad showing Danny Gallivan doing sports for CJCH Halifax in 1950. I guess everybody has to start somewhere! I would have loved to have heard what that sounded like.