sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2024 8:15 am  #1

The Latest Big Bucks Nostalgia Must Have: Sony Walkmans

Long before mp3 players and computers, they revolutionized the way we listened to music. Now Sony Walkmans are making something of a comeback online, as fanatics sell them to try and make a buck. And like most things that grow on the Internet, younger people have taken notice and the nostalgia market has boomed. 

I buy Sony Walkmans and sell them online for big bucks — people may think it’s crazy but the nostalgia is real

My first Walkman:

February 18, 2024 11:25 am  #2

Re: The Latest Big Bucks Nostalgia Must Have: Sony Walkmans

These developed into almost audiophile caliber machines. Sony had several models with Dolby, auto-reverse, tape select (metal / regular / chrome) and the ability to record. The wow and flutter specs were great too. The high end models are quite collectable. If you purchase one of these expect it to need belts to drive the mechanisms inside. With a properly recorded tape, these units sounded excellent.

You can't buy something like this new any longer; good cassette decks are no long manufactured. Apparently there is one generic unit being made to use in the cheap boom box stereos of today and its specs. aren't very good.

February 18, 2024 11:37 am  #3

I still have a few of my old Walkmans in various states of working order. In addition to the very first one pictured in the original post, here are some of the others. They were all pretty good machines, although at one point, I had an Aiwa in the mix. The first one below was always my favourite. 

February 18, 2024 1:21 pm  #4

There’s also a new company called “We Are Rewind” making Bluetooth cassette recorders. Tapehead City sells cassette tapes exclusively.  Seems like some artists are starting to release music in this format again.  Everything old is new again?

https://www.wearerewind.com/.     https://tapeheadcity.com/

Last edited by Ixltoo (February 18, 2024 1:24 pm)

February 18, 2024 3:36 pm  #5

Aiwa came out with some very high end models. You could even get ones with Dolby C Noise Reduction. 

February 18, 2024 6:44 pm  #6

I loved my bright yellow, sturdy Sports Walkman. It was the only kind I could use because I'd end up wearing out or breaking the regular kind in a few short months. At one point I remember Sony came out with metallic blue or pink Walkmans, of course it was the 80's.

The joy and fun of going in to the radio station way before my shift, ransacking the music library and pulling around forty albums, then spending a few hours in a production studio making some pretty terrific mixed tapes was one of my favorite all-time perks of the job.

(And now I want a yellow Sports Walkman.)

February 18, 2024 6:46 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

The joy and fun of going in to the radio station way before my shift, ransacking the music library and pulling around forty albums, then spending a few hours in a production studio making some pretty terrific mixed tapes was one of my favorite all-time perks of the job.

Been there, done that!

As for those Yellow Sonys...

February 18, 2024 9:01 pm  #8

I have several Walkmans. All are radio only. Most are AM-FM, but one is FM only.

The SRF 59 is a favourite with Ultrlight DXers. I have one. It's a pretty good radio but the dial calibration is too imprecise to be useful for DXing.

Last edited by turkeytop (February 18, 2024 9:03 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 18, 2024 10:10 pm  #9

Here's a couple of AM stereo Walkman's:

Last edited by Fitz (February 18, 2024 10:13 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 18, 2024 10:13 pm  #10

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 18, 2024 10:24 pm  #11

I loved the Walkmans, but it seems I was always forced to buy replacements. I had at least five or more of them over the years and couldn't seem to keep any of them working long. And the belt clips kept breaking. But they were great while they lasted. 

February 18, 2024 10:29 pm  #12

Mine all still work but I've had to make repairs to a couple of them. Bad solder joints. Sony's quality control was lacking.

Last edited by turkeytop (February 18, 2024 10:43 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 19, 2024 1:54 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Been there, done that!

As for those Yellow Sonys...

neat-o thanks RA! 🎧🎶😁

February 20, 2024 1:38 pm  #14

This might happen with ipods soon as they were the replacement of the walkman overall.  I went from my last portable player being the Panasonic Shockwave to an ipod back then and had the yellow Sports Sony Walkman in the 90s!  its somewhere in a box 

February 20, 2024 1:44 pm  #15

I still run an iPod for podcasts. It's nice to go out and leave the phone at home sometimes.

February 20, 2024 5:49 pm  #16

Heh, I can't even find my yellow walkman. It must be deep in storage somewhere. 
I also had a really cheap tape player (no radio) from an unknown brand. So cheap it had no rewind. Just a play, stop and fast forward button to choose from.
(I used to have to flip the tape over and press fast forward to do my rewinding with that cheap thing, lol)

I also have a walkman that records radio stations onto cassette, but I don't think it works anymore. 
It was a battery guzzler anyway. lol 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.