sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2024 8:01 am  #1

Happy World Radio Day! Well, Maybe Not In North America

Every February 13th since 2011 has been designated as World Radio Day by UNESCO (The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) and has been celebrated annually. 

Believe it or not, this is actually a big deal all over the world - except, for some reason, North America. If you do a Google News search for "World Radio Day," you'll see dozens and dozens of entries from countries all over the world - but not a lot from our part of the planet.

It's a big deal in Africa, Australia, England, Europe, India, Asia and many smaller countries. Yet, beyond campus stations and a few commercial ones, it's barely noticed here. I wonder why that is? The medium may have seen better days, but blowing its own horn once a year can't hurt. 

Either way, Happy World Radio Day! We may not broadcast the news to the world on this continent, but it shows that in some places, it's still a big deal.

World Radio Day: 101 years young, and still going strong!

February 13, 2024 8:22 am  #2

Re: Happy World Radio Day! Well, Maybe Not In North America

I just heard a PSA for World Radio Day on CFRB. So it is at least being noted here.

But other than this 30 sec. spot that, they're pretty much ignoring it. 

February 13, 2024 8:51 am  #3

I am embarking on a road trip from Chelmsford to Ottawa today, so will sample a number of stations enroute. I'm happy to do my part to celebrate World Radio Day. 

February 13, 2024 8:56 am  #4

Unlike North America and Europe, radio is the most essential form of communication throughout large parts of Africa, Asia and South America. Here's a great article from the United Nations High Commission on Refugees (UNHCR) on how a local radio station in Malawi is helping to bridge the gap between refugees from other African nations and the local population.

https://www.unhcr.org/news/stories/community-radio-fosters-refugee-inclusion-malawi?fbclid=IwAR20AfHMVwNAoehNeb0a49o-n_nJGYwY7p6cPFVhJOVD4kNE-e6HsA1bgxg

February 13, 2024 12:29 pm  #5

This song was recorded especially for World Radio Day and is available rights free to any radio station that wants to play it. Not the greatest tune I've ever heard, but how many songs are actually about the medium - and free?

It's by Gunhill Road, who had a terrific but minor hit in 1973 with a song called "Back When My Hair Was Short."

February 13, 2024 12:39 pm  #6

The Corpse made note of it this morning (at the end of the 07:00 news IIRC).

February 13, 2024 1:01 pm  #7

Pretty sure I heard a spot for this on 640 - but yes, this is certainly a much bigger deal outside of NA.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (February 13, 2024 1:02 pm)

February 13, 2024 3:49 pm  #8

BOUNCE also has a promo on wishing all of their listeners a Happy World Radio Day.  RadioWest.ca  recognized the day along with some memorable songs about this media that we all enjoy so much...
https://radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12867960#p12867960

February 13, 2024 4:06 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I just heard a PSA for World Radio Day on CFRB. So it is at least being noted here.

But other than this 30 sec. spot that, they're pretty much ignoring it. 

Happy World Radio Day. Here's your walking papers.

I've noticed a few stations have celebrated the day by playing "Radio Ga Ga" by Queen. Speaks volumes.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 13, 2024 4:27 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

BOUNCE also has a promo on wishing all of their listeners a Happy World Radio Day.  RadioWest.ca  recognized the day along with some memorable songs about this media that we all enjoy so much...
https://radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12867960#p12867960

That's a fun list, but they left out what has to be the greatest and truest song about radio in Top 40 history, at least for those who've worked in it.

February 13, 2024 4:38 pm  #11

^Fantastic tune.

February 14, 2024 3:10 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Every February 13th since 2011 has been designated as World Radio Day by UNESCO (The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) and has been celebrated annually. 

Believe it or not, this is actually a big deal all over the world - except, for some reason, North America. If you do a Google News search for "World Radio Day," you'll see dozens and dozens of entries from countries all over the world - but not a lot from our part of the planet.

It's a big deal in Africa, Australia, England, Europe, India, Asia and many smaller countries. Yet, beyond campus stations and a few commercial ones, it's barely noticed here. I wonder why that is? The medium may have seen better days, but blowing its own horn once a year can't hurt. 

Either way, Happy World Radio Day! We may not broadcast the news to the world on this continent, but it shows that in some places, it's still a big deal.

World Radio Day: 101 years young, and still going strong!

There's a great episode of CBC Spark devoted to radio that's worth a listen.     From the technology and math behind it, an interview with the men from S. P. A. R. C. (Canadian radio museum)  to an expert view on radio's future.

The extraordinary power of terrestrial radio.

"In honour of World Radio Day, we explore the magic behind one of the most important technological creations in history, the innovations it inspired and its enduring power in an increasingly digitized world."

February 15, 2024 10:18 am  #13

So, try as I might on our trip to Ottawa and back, I didn't get a chance to sample too much of broadcast variety . My travelling companion objected to everything I attempted to tune in, so other than a North Bay station id' ing  itself as Jet FM and interestingly broadcasting from Canadore College in the former school studio , and a few minutes of KISS FM in Ottawa , I didn't hear alot of anything but my wife complaining about anything and everything.