sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2024 11:45 am  #1

The Son Also Rises. The New Radio Voice Of The Blue Jays Is...Not TV!

Ben Shulman, the son of TV play-by-play man Dan Shulman, is expected to be named shortly, per the Toronto Sun.

Talk about keeping it in the family. 

Shulman will take over on Sportsnet's radio coverage after Ben Wagner was let go at the end of last season. (I'm still not sure why they let Wagner go, but hey, - at least it's not going to be the TV audio after all.)

Chris Leroux will be the colour analyst, a voice Jays' fans have heard in the past. 

How does dad feel about his enfant terrible following in his considerable footsteps?

“I’m not saying this because I’m his father, but I think he’s really good,” Dan Shulman told [the] Toronto Sun's Steve Simmons last year. “I think I get more nervous listening to him than he does doing it.”

Sportsnet to name Ben Shulman new Blue Jays radio voice

February 13, 2024 12:36 pm  #2

Re: The Son Also Rises. The New Radio Voice Of The Blue Jays Is...Not TV!

Note to Ben Schulman:  Keep your mind on the game never mind the constant extemporaneous conversations about everything but baseball.  Just the play-by-play please.

February 13, 2024 12:37 pm  #3

Good luck to Ben Schulman!

I hope they work on his inclination to talk to guests and chatter rather than describe the game at hand.

Also, here's to Ben Wagner who I thought was very good. I hope he rebounds and finds a great job.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

February 13, 2024 1:06 pm  #4

Colour me surprised - but as we all know, radio is perfect for baseball. There should be a devoted broadcasting team.

February 13, 2024 1:20 pm  #5

Great news

February 13, 2024 1:36 pm  #6

Speaking of baseball news, here's some that may be long overdue - a woman has been named the primary play-by-play voice for a Major League Baseball team for the first time ever. Her name is Jenny Cavnar, and she'll be calling the games for the Oakland A's this year. 

She does have experience, having put in time on Colorado Rockies broadcasts in the past. But this is the first time a woman will be front and centre for any team. 

Jenny Cavnar is 1st female lead play-by-play voice in MLB history

February 13, 2024 4:17 pm  #7

Turns out radio analyst Chris Leroux's baseball background isn't his only media claim to fame

February 13, 2024 9:15 pm  #8

Sportsnet has made it official with a list of its coverage plans for the Jays this year. 

Press release

February 14, 2024 8:30 am  #9

Wagner was awful in my opinion. Great to have a Canadian doing the games.

February 14, 2024 6:27 pm  #10

peter wrote:

Wagner was awful in my opinion. Great to have a Canadian doing the games.

I'm curious. Why?

February 14, 2024 8:22 pm  #11

LB - I made 2 statements.
Your comment didn't specify which statement made you curious.
I think the pertinent question is why would you be curious at all about my comment?  
It's my opinion.
I stated it and stick by both statements

February 15, 2024 3:02 am  #12

peter wrote:

I think the pertinent question is why would you be curious at all about my comment?  
It's my opinion.

Wow. Get over yourself. It’s radio discussion board. If you don’t want to discuss anything, start a blog without a comment section and talk to yourself.
You said Ben Wagner was awful. Not average, not below average. Awful. That’s a strong opinion. He’s obviously curious as to what you didn’t like. You know, THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THIS BOARD?
If you aren’t too offended at someone not accepting your opinion as the word of the Lord Almighty, would you care to expand on your original thought, or are you too infallible to engage with us mere mortals?

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (February 15, 2024 3:03 am)

February 15, 2024 8:49 am  #13

Tomas Barlow wrote:

peter wrote:

It's my opinion.

Wow. Get over yourself. It’s radio discussion board. If you don’t want to discuss anything, start a blog without a comment section and talk to yourself.
You said Ben Wagner was awful. Not average, not below average. Awful. That’s a strong opinion. He’s obviously curious as to what you didn’t like. You know, THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THIS BOARD?
If you aren’t too offended at someone not accepting your opinion as the word of the Lord Almighty, would you care to expand on your original thought, or are you too infallible to engage with us mere mortals?

Tomas and peter, it's no big deal. There was no bad intent in my question.

I thought Wagner was fine so I was curious to know why peter felt that way. If nothing else, Wagner's ability to do many broadcasts by himself - 3 to 4 hours - should be admired, IMHO.

As for Schulman, he's young. He'll get there.

Neither of you know me, however, I'm never one for a p*ssing match. Life's too short for that.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (February 15, 2024 9:22 am)

February 24, 2024 8:48 pm  #14

Mike Wilner champions one of his former broadcast partners getting the gig of a lifetime for the Jays, while lamenting the fate of Ben Wagner. 

But he's adamant that while his dad calling the TV games is an asset, it's not the reason Ben Shulman got the radio job. 

"The name carries a lot of weight and to ignore the fact that Shulman's father, Dan, is the television voice of the team would be to miss a large part of the story. But the cries of nepotism at the younger Shulman's hiring are misplaced at best and mean-spirited at worst.

Dan Shulman had nothing to do with his son's hiring other than being quite possibly the best baseball broadcaster on the planet. He didn't have his thumb on the scale at all, making sure he was completely removed from the process."

Ben Shulman is going to be good as the voice of the Blue Jays. Let's hope he gets the support Ben Wagner never had