sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2024 1:06 am  #31

Re: What jungle will Tarzan Dan be swinging from next?

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

So, the show starts 10am in Nova Scotia?

It starts at 10am everywhere. 

I don't think you understand how time zones work. 

Likewise. 

February 2, 2024 1:06 am  #32

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Likewise. 

Back to high school 

February 2, 2024 1:08 am  #33

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

Likewise. 

Back to high school 

This was fun, but your troll kinda fell apart with this one.

February 2, 2024 1:09 am  #34

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Likewise. 

Back to high school 

It was a legit question but math is not your thing. 

February 2, 2024 1:12 am  #35

I think he means all the stations involved will start airing it at 10AM local time, regardless of where they are in the country. What we used to call "tape delay."

February 2, 2024 1:12 am  #36

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

Back to high school 

If he starts VTing at 7am in Calgary (where he's located) the show can start airing at 10am in any time zone.

February 2, 2024 1:15 am  #37

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

If he starts VTing at 7am in Calgary (where he's located) the show can start airing at 10am in any time zone.

But 7am in Calgary is 10am in Nova Scotia - does that not mean the Nova Scotia show would be LIVE??

February 2, 2024 1:20 am  #38

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

But 7am in Calgary is 10am in Nova Scotia - does that not mean the Nova Scotia show would be LIVE??

No. He'd need to VT at least a few minutes before to make sure the tracks are transferred in time.

February 2, 2024 2:35 pm  #39

This time zone confusion was highly entertaining to read, thank you both!

February 2, 2024 5:04 pm  #40

Third base!

February 3, 2024 12:47 am  #41

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

So, the show starts 10am in Nova Scotia?

No, you don’t understand how voice tracks work. The voice tracks will air at 10 AM local time everywhere.  Likely recorded in the very early morning or the night before Calgary time. The same 10 am hour will air at 10 AT, 10 ET, 10 CT, 10 MT and 10 PT. It’s not live or networked. He records a break called 10AM Break 1. It’s logged for 10:10 am on each station. It plays in each automation system at 10 local time.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (February 3, 2024 12:51 am)

February 3, 2024 10:46 am  #42

Tomas Barlow wrote:

No, you don’t understand how voice tracks work. The voice tracks will air at 10 AM local time everywhere. Likely recorded in the very early morning or the night before Calgary time. The same 10 am hour will air at 10 AT, 10 ET, 10 CT, 10 MT and 10 PT. It’s not live or networked. He records a break called 10AM Break 1. It’s logged for 10:10 am on each station. It plays in each automation system at 10 local time.

I'm not arguing your point, but the slight alteration might be that there are several different VT's ready to go, where he is free to say "How 'bout those Leafs" in one market and "How bout those Jets" in another. 
vs
the classic one fits all VT where one might simply say "I love Hockey...hard to say who might win the cup..."

& Hockey is just an example. Maybe there are other "local" things to say...

(in between tunes, getting as much info in as possible in as little time possible, hitting a post, etc...)

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 3, 2024 10:50 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 3, 2024 11:31 am  #43

RadioAaron wrote:

Third base!

Exactly!

February 3, 2024 12:24 pm  #44

Radiowiz wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

No, you don’t understand how voice tracks work. The voice tracks will air at 10 AM local time everywhere. Likely recorded in the very early morning or the night before Calgary time. The same 10 am hour will air at 10 AT, 10 ET, 10 CT, 10 MT and 10 PT. It’s not live or networked. He records a break called 10AM Break 1. It’s logged for 10:10 am on each station. It plays in each automation system at 10 local time.

I'm not arguing your point, but the slight alteration might be that there are several different VT's ready to go, where he is free to say "How 'bout those Leafs" in one market and "How bout those Jets" in another. 
vs
the classic one fits all VT where one might simply say "I love Hockey...hard to say who might win the cup..."

& Hockey is just an example. Maybe there are other "local" things to say...

(in between tunes, getting as much info in as possible in as little time possible, hitting a post, etc...)

I can’t imagine anyone finding that much extra work to be worth it. To localize one break he would have to record it 25 times. that’s probably more voice tracks than there are in the entire show from start to finish. If I were doing a national show and I was going to talk about hockey, I would just mention the Canadian teams playing that night on all the stations. They do it on Hockey Night in Canada.

February 3, 2024 1:23 pm  #45

Yeah, middays on a Classic Hits station are all about playing a lot of music and having someone there that sounds like they're having fun doing so.

February 6, 2024 3:40 pm  #46

I wonder if it's their eventual plan to move him into mornings? That seems to be the general trend with morning shows nowadays and this seems like a lot of fanfare for a midday show. Just sayin'...

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 8, 2024 1:28 pm  #47

So a week after starting this show, Bell sells most of the stations? This gig for Tarzan might be shortlived. 

February 8, 2024 2:12 pm  #48

That’s just ineptitude by Bell.
But it’s the government’s fault! Never forget that!

February 9, 2024 11:36 am  #49

Just checked his Twitter/X and Facebook pages. 

Not a word about any of the Bounce stations that were sold or the people being Bounce-d.

February 9, 2024 12:02 pm  #50

RadioActive wrote:

Not a word about any of the Bounce stations that were sold or the people being Bounce-d.

Hopefully he has a contract of some sort, something that says he gets paid the same amount regardless of how many stations he's on.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 9, 2024 2:09 pm  #51

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Hopefully he has a contract of some sort, something that says he gets paid the same amount regardless of how many stations he's on.
PJ

There may be a short term contract that says as condition of sale that the new owner must carry Tarzan Dan for a short time. (ie first, until the sale is granted by CRTC, then a short while after)

February 9, 2024 2:30 pm  #52

Just listening to Dan right now.  This guy hasn't missed a beat.  Perfect for the format and he is doing lots of breaks.  None of this garbage with announcers only talking five or six times per hour.  He is very entertaining.

February 12, 2024 11:14 pm  #53

paterson1 wrote:

Just listening to Dan right now.  This guy hasn't missed a beat.  Perfect for the format and he is doing lots of breaks.  None of this garbage with announcers only talking five or six times per hour.  He is very entertaining.

Once every ten minutes is too little for you?  So you don't want any songs back to back?

February 12, 2024 11:25 pm  #54

Tomas Barlow wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Once every ten minutes is too little for you?  So you don't want any songs back to back?

Everytime he did a break he didn't go to commercials.  And he also spoke over some intros of songs so he had lots of songs back to back. When I heard him, it was a bit closer to what he did years ago on CFTR. 

February 12, 2024 11:35 pm  #55

paterson1 wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Everytime he did a break he didn't go to commercials.  And he also spoke over some intros of songs so he had lots of songs back to back. When I heard him, it was a bit closer to what he did years ago on CFTR. 

So he's hitting posts well. Good to know, but also expected from someone in the biz for many many years. 
It does surprise me that he's not on CHUM or Virgin (better for CHUM) to cover his voice in the Toronto market.

February 13, 2024 9:43 am  #56

paterson1 wrote:

Everytime he did a break he didn't go to commercials. . 

I have it on good authority that that is "lazy"

February 13, 2024 11:50 am  #57

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Everytime he did a break he didn't go to commercials. . 

I have it on good authority that that is "lazy"

Yes lazy and sloppy sounding.  And sadly Dan doesn't seem to be doing as many breaks in the first hour as last Friday.  At least they haven't sucked the energy out of his show yet.  

February 13, 2024 11:57 am  #58

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

So he's hitting posts well. Good to know, but also expected from someone in the biz for many many years. 
It does surprise me that he's not on CHUM or Virgin (better for CHUM) to cover his voice in the Toronto market.

Bell Media would just get rid of him in the end anyways.