sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2024 7:19 pm  #1

Trudeau gets pissed at Bell Globe Media for the cuts

I think the Bell cuts, anger Trudeau more than truckers honking on the 401. But, the Prime Minister is passionate about his feelings over these cuts.

As you watch the clip, he says he's angry, but there is something missing for me. I feel he lacks ideas and authenticity about the situation.

Maybe he needs to meet with John Pole, who truly gets the media business and the dynamics of it.

Here is the video.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 12, 2024 10:57 pm  #2

Re: Trudeau gets pissed at Bell Globe Media for the cuts

This is boardering on Conrad Black levels of worship from this board.  Small stations that are heavily voice tracked are pretty much the norm.  Other than the sheer number of stations there's nothing revolutionary about what he's doing.  I'd argue that Durham Radio, despite their constant predictable attempts to claim signal deficiencies to get through the back door into adjacent larger markets, create more interesting and fully staffed radio than MyFM does.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (February 12, 2024 10:57 pm)

February 13, 2024 6:51 pm  #3

A thought provoking column from a Toronto Star columnist:

"Here’s another crazy idea: how about holding this company to account? How about requiring it to live up to the commitments on news that it willingly made for the right to use the public airwaves? How about having a broadcast regulator with teeth, instead of an impotent bystander?"

Bell spits in the government's face with latest media cuts

February 13, 2024 7:06 pm  #4

Tomas Barlow wrote:

This is boardering on Conrad Black levels of worship from this board.  Small stations that are heavily voice tracked are pretty much the norm.  Other than the sheer number of stations there's nothing revolutionary about what he's doing.  I'd argue that Durham Radio, despite their constant predictable attempts to claim signal deficiencies to get through the back door into adjacent larger markets, create more interesting and fully staffed radio than MyFM does.

100%

Did you know BellMedia has two radio stations in Peterborough? One runs a US syndicated morning show. The other VTs mornings and airs it on four other stations; it also runs a cash contest that sounds local, but the winner could be from any number of stations. Their websites don't even list their personalities!

Wait, that's not Bell.

It's a company run by a very convincing salesman who has many here drooling over the dotted line before they even look in the box they're buying.

February 13, 2024 10:07 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

100%

Did you know BellMedia has two radio stations in Peterborough? One runs a US syndicated morning show. The other VTs mornings and airs it on four other stations; it also runs a cash contest that sounds local, but the winner could be from any number of stations. Their websites don't even list their personalities!

Wait, that's not Bell.

It's a company run by a very convincing salesman who has many here drooling over the dotted line before they even look in the box they're buying.

February 14, 2024 12:08 am  #6

It's no longer Bell Globe Mail, just Bell Media.

February 14, 2024 8:36 am  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

100%

Wait, that's not Bell.

breaking news - radio stations do stuff you don't like.

- forgot to mention their large newsroom

- forgot to mention their huge amount of fundraising for local charities.

- forgot to mention the thousands of people who get news headlines sent to their phones

- forgot to mention their indepth coverage of the Petes.

- forgot to mention they saved the local home show.
- forgot to mention they didn't just layoff 4800 people.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean the audience doesn't like it.   Radio has changed.  We get it, you don't like them.  Change the channel.   Buy your own station and show us all your brilliance.

February 14, 2024 11:32 am  #8

I said nothing about not liking it. In fact, I think their model is going to become the new normal for markets that size.

My point is they do all the on-air things everyone rags on Bell for, and actually to a larger degree. 

The same posters who slam Bell for VTs, homogenous formats, tight playlists are praising this sale like it's going to undo all of those "wrongs."