sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2024 8:43 pm  #1

The 2024 Juno nominee list is out...

Here is the link to the Juno Nominee list for 2024 awards event. 

https://junoawards.ca/2024-full-juno-nominee-list/

My question is this, are the Juno's still relevant and does receiving one mean as much as Stan and Walt intended way back when, when RPM magazine launched them?

I ask this, because I was at a concert Thursday night in Markham and Sammy Jackson was on the bill that night, singing her top song, "Honey" and she was introduced as a Juno award winner, On the marketing material on the Flato Markham Theatre, they also mention her being a 2023 recipient of the award.

My sense is people don't understand the significance of winning one...or aren't even familiar with the Juno's period.

What say you Big Yellow board?

Here is her Juno award winning song...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (February 11, 2024 8:46 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 11, 2024 9:36 pm  #2

Re: The 2024 Juno nominee list is out...

Well Sammy's song Honey was not on the radio and she won the Juno for best Jazz Vocal in 2021 for that song.  Not a category or song that most would be familiar with unless they are big jazz fans.

The 2021 Grammy for Jazz Vocal was awarded to Kurt Elling for Secrets Are The Best Stories.  Not sure many would know that either.  And 2021 awards were for 2020 recordings during the peak of COVID so not a big year for music anywhere. 

But you are correct that the Juno's don't have the cache of a Brit Award, Grammy or American Music Awards and likely never will.  

I did like the Juno ad with Nelly Furtado on the Super Bowl broadcast on CTV. 

February 12, 2024 1:15 pm  #3

Re: The 2024 Juno nominee list is out...

I did PR for Sammy during her JUNO win. Certainly the award doesn't have the cache as winning a Grammy, but all the jazz shows on campus/community radio made it go top 10 on the Earshot charts, along with airplay on Jazz FM in Toronto and The Wave FM in Hamilton. An astonishing amount of print media and TV for her during this time, too, but it's not like commercial radio will play anything jazz except Michael Bublé, and he's leaning into pop as much as jazz.