sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2024 8:23 pm  #1

Could A.I. Be Used To Show "Super Bowl" Highlights During The Game?

Whether it be the Olympics or the Super Bowl, there’s one rule that supersedes them all: a station that’s not showing the event can’t use highlights until well after the game is over. (In the case of the Olympics, it’s more than 24 hours and even then, the minutes are restricted.)

I’ve written before how some stations handle this: showing crude but funny drawings of the on-field action or using a tabletop hockey game during the Olympics to recreate the scoring. All clever and all legal. But here’s a question I’m not sure about:

What would happen if a station decided to use A.I. to create “highlights” from the Super Bowl? They wouldn’t necessarily have to even use the real uniforms or names of the players, just show a highly creative but very real re-creation of what’s happening on the field, without ever mentioning the word "Super" or "Bowl."

Would that be legal or could they be sued? After all, they’re not actually showing real “highlights” and not a frame of actual footage would be seen. It's not illegal to report on what happened. Could they get away with that without being sued? And if so, would this become the norm for those trying to figure out how to cover an event without being able to show any of it?

The future is here. Will anyone be tempted to use it?

February 7, 2024 12:13 am  #2

Re: Could A.I. Be Used To Show "Super Bowl" Highlights During The Game?

Well, since this was a story about whether using Artificial Intelligence to create some fake sports highlights is legal, I decided to ask the one entity that should know: A.I. itself. Here's what Chat GPT had to say when I entered that question. 

Using AI to generate generic highlights from the Super Bowl and broadcasting them on a TV station that is not showing the game during their newscast could potentially raise copyright concerns.

Broadcasting highlights of a copyrighted event like the Super Bowl without permission from the copyright holder, typically the NFL or the network broadcasting the game, could constitute copyright infringement. Even if the highlights are generated by AI and are considered generic, they still likely contain elements that are protected by copyright, such as specific plays, commentary, or graphics.

However, the legality of such a use would ultimately depend on the specific circumstances and how the highlights are generated and used. It's possible that if the highlights are sufficiently transformed or used in a way that qualifies as fair use under copyright law, then it might not be considered a violation. Fair use is a legal doctrine that allows for the limited use of copyrighted material without permission from the copyright owner under certain circumstances, such as for purposes of criticism, commentary, news reporting, or educational use.

Ultimately, it would be advisable for the TV station to consult with a legal expert familiar with copyright law to assess the potential risks and determine the best course of action."