sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2024 3:59 pm  #1

FM tower toppled…for $100 in copper

2 in Oklahoma accused of toppling country radio station tower to steal $100 in copper
https://www.foxnews.com/us/2-oklahoma-accused-toppling-country-radio-station-tower-steal-100-copper

January 21, 2024 4:29 pm  #2

Re: FM tower toppled…for $100 in copper

"Loss of copper a few hundred dollars, damage to the tower and building approximately 500,000.00," Park posted on his Facebook page."

Interesting. Glad they were caught.
So...was bail set at $500,000.00? (plus return of copper)  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 22, 2024 3:59 pm  #3

It's not just an American crime. It happens here, too. 

Two suspects charged after copper wire theft that knocked out phone and internet

January 22, 2024 9:32 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

It's not just an American crime. It happens here, too. 

Two suspects charged after copper wire theft that knocked out phone and internet

A few years ago a London man died after scaling the fence around a London Hydro transformer station intending to steal copper. He posthumously received the Darwin Award.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 3, 2024 8:59 pm  #5

Stealing copper from a tower is one thing - but who steals a 200-foot tower and nobody notices? It happened to a radio station in Alabama.

WJLX owner reports seemingly impossible theft of 200-foot radio tower

WJLX's Facebook Post:

February 5, 2024 12:38 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Stealing copper from a tower is one thing - but who steals a 200-foot tower and nobody notices? It happened to a radio station in Alabama.

WJLX owner reports seemingly impossible theft of 200-foot radio tower

In a strange coincidence, Maplesville, Alabama HAM enthusiast Billy-Joe Jim-Bob Magoo is sporting a stellar new broadcasting rig. His fourteen-year old daughter Quilla June remains without shoes.

February 6, 2024 1:42 pm  #7

More on the theft of that 200' tower, where nobody seems to have any idea what happened to it or how the thieves made off with it. 

“You would have to know it’s back there,’’ [station owner Brett] Elmore said. “It’s hard to get to and there’s only one way in and one way out. It’s a dead-end road...”

“Those towers, about 10 or 20 feet they’ll disassemble, but that tower has been there for so long, I don’t see them getting the bolts off,’’ he said. “They probably had to cut it off.”

When he told the local police what happened, their response was ‘You’ve got to be kidding me.’

For now his FM is still on the air, but the AM is gone. And he says he doesn't have the budget to replace it. 

Someone stole a radio station’s 200-foot tower, owner says

February 6, 2024 2:03 pm  #8

I contacted a new FM station in Ontario once, while they were still testing. I asked where the tower was located. The guy wouldn't tell me. He said they didn't want that known.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.