sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2023 12:30 pm  #1

CBC Radio: The End Of The Long Dash

"For more than 80 years the beeps and tones of the National Research Council (NRC) time signal have connected Canadians at exactly 1 p.m. But as of Monday, CBC Radio One audiences won't be listening for the beginning of the long dash — they'll have listened to the end of it."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cbc-stops-broadcasting-national-research-council-long-dash-time-signal-1.6988903?cmp=rss

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (October 10, 2023 12:31 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

October 10, 2023 12:44 pm  #2

Re: CBC Radio: The End Of The Long Dash

I’ve been wondering about the fate of that! Not only for the obvious reasons like streaming, but their OTA signals have some pretty complex audio routing - not to mention  the delay introduced by HD.

October 10, 2023 12:56 pm  #3

Well, there's always CHU, Canada's Time Station.

A friend and I always used to do this ridiculous sketch about CHU, where people would call up and request their favourite time.

----------------------

"Yes, I'd like to hear 5:54 PM please."

"We'll get it on in about an hour, sir. Anyone you want to dedicate it to?"

"Yes, my girlfriend Sophie, who accused me of being late for dinner."

"OK, we'll do it for Sophie. What's your favourite radio station all the time?"

"CHU Canada!"

"Yours, mine and hours!"

Beep!
---------------
It was a stupid idea then and it's just as stupid now. But it always made us laugh anyway!

October 10, 2023 1:38 pm  #4

If you want accuracy and timliness, just listen to it on real radio.

Online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 10, 2023 1:53 pm  #5

turkeytop wrote:

Online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

The problem is that the “real” radio itself is now subject to delayed audio.

October 10, 2023 1:55 pm  #6

turkeytop wrote:

Also, some bad news: Even when you’re listening to “real” radio, it is in fact re-broadcasting an online stream.

October 10, 2023 1:59 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

[
Also, some bad news: Even when you’re listening to “real” radio, it is in fact re-broadcasting an online stream.

@RadioAaron can you explain? Are you referring to radio's automation systems? 

October 10, 2023 2:06 pm  #8

So they should stop giving the sunrise and sunset times. There's a full eight minute delay involved in that.

October 10, 2023 3:00 pm  #9

The article is slightly misleading - it was broadcast at 1:00pm Eastern time, not 1:00pm nationwide which the article seems to suggest.

In BC it’s broadcast at 10:00am Pacific time and I’ve heard it on CBC Calgary, at 11:00am Mountain. It seems the beeps were broadcast simultaneously across the network but the preceding announcement was tailored to the time zone of the transmitter.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (October 10, 2023 3:00 pm)

October 10, 2023 3:15 pm  #10

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Wouldn't CBC Radio One's distribution via satellite to all their TXs also contribute to the delay?

October 10, 2023 3:17 pm  #11

MJ Vancouver wrote:

The article is slightly misleading - it was broadcast at 1:00pm Eastern time, not 1:00pm nationwide which the article seems to suggest.

In BC it’s broadcast at 10:00am Pacific time and I’ve heard it on CBC Calgary, at 11:00am Mountain. It seems the beeps were broadcast simultaneously across the network but the preceding announcement was tailored to the time zone of the transmitter.

The differences in the regions even within the same timezone. On CBC Calgary, the NRC announcement is voiced by Katherine Duncan, while I think CBC Edmonton got the network voiceover guy. 

October 10, 2023 3:19 pm  #12

I find my phone is quite accurate.  I tested with a live broadcast of CHU once and it was winthin a second.

You can also call them:

English: 613-745-1576
French: 613-745-9426

I just tried the English line and it a a second off (fast) from my phone. 
Likewise, the French line was a second fast.

Last edited by Peter the K (October 10, 2023 3:20 pm)

October 10, 2023 3:53 pm  #13

And for the low cost of just $19 (plus shipping), you can have a commemorative tea towel celebrating the NRC time signal on CBC, customized to your local time zone.
https://www.saboothroyd.com/products/tea-towel-cbc-the-beginning-of-the-long-dash-10am-1pm

October 10, 2023 5:00 pm  #14

km93 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

[

@RadioAaron can you explain? Are you referring to radio's automation systems? 

Not the automation system, but the delivery from the studio to the transmitter is often done via IP (Internet Protocol), making the argument that streaming radio isn't really radio all the more absurd.

October 10, 2023 5:18 pm  #15

The linked article is from the CBC itself. And this line stood out to me:

"CBC declined an interview and would only provide written responses to questions about the change." 

So the CBC wouldn't talk to itself? What a weird place it is when a reporter from their own organization can't get hold of anyone in charge to answer a question about their own network.

Maybe if they'd called at the exact stroke of 1 PM. Not that they know when that is anymore...

October 11, 2023 1:21 am  #16

turkeytop wrote:

I=Online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

It never gets any less ridiculous no matter how many times you repeat it.

October 11, 2023 8:57 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Well, there's always CHU, Canada's Time Station.

A friend and I always used to do this ridiculous sketch about CHU, where people would call up and request their favourite time.

----------------------

"Yes, I'd like to hear 5:54 PM please."

"We'll get it on in about an hour, sir. Anyone you want to dedicate it to?"

"Yes, my girlfriend Sophie, who accused me of being late for dinner."

"OK, we'll do it for Sophie. What's your favourite radio station all the time?"

"CHU Canada!"

"Yours, mine and hours!"

Beep!
---------------
It was a stupid idea then and it's just as stupid now. But it always made us laugh anyway!

Made me chuckle! Mind you, another song request could be 8:15 by the Guess Who…..!

October 11, 2023 9:00 am  #18

Or perhaps the CBC could replace it at 1 PM with the Guess Who's "No Time." And it would be CanCon!

October 11, 2023 9:02 am  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Or perhaps the CBC could replace it at 1 PM with the Guess Who's "No Time." And it would be CanCon!

Bingo!

October 13, 2023 12:00 am  #20

Incredibly, this story made the papers in Britain. 

"Like missing a series finale." Canada abruptly ends official time signal

October 14, 2023 6:52 pm  #21

Tomas Barlow wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

I=Online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

It never gets any less ridiculous no matter how many times you repeat it.

How could it get less ridiculous when it isn't ridiculous to begin with? Makes perfect sense.

October 17, 2023 5:47 pm  #22

RadioActive wrote:

Incredibly, this story made the papers in Britain. 

"Like missing a series finale." Canada abruptly ends official time signal

I loved this whole article. The woman who trained her dog to ask for a treat at the time signal, that even after the changes in technology, the signal was a respite. The Guardian consistently puts out well-written, meaningful content.

#BringBackTheTimeSignalCBC

Last edited by betaylored (October 17, 2023 5:48 pm)

November 4, 2023 7:43 pm  #23

Well, at least one ancient tradition continues. Even if there's no long dash. How about a long bell?

Bong! Big Ben broadcasts to return to Radio 4’s regular schedule 

December 15, 2023 8:28 am  #24

Some traditions never die. At least in Britain. 

Big Ben marks 100 years of broadcasting New Year’s Eve ‘bongs’

February 5, 2024 10:06 am  #25

It wasn't just at 1 PM. In Britain, the BBC has those "pips" marking the top of the hour every 60 minutes. Now, like the CBC, there's a huge debate about whether there's any point in keeping those time indicators, thanks to digital delays and other factors.

I love this story. Turns out, they're been marking time on the Beeb for 100 years, with Feb. 5, 1924 officially marking that centennial. Now the issue has become something of a cause celebre in England, with those who want to keep the tones facing off with those arguing they should be cut. And in typical BBC fashion, they did an entire show dedicated to the topic of 'should they stay or should they go?'

It turns out, dealing with this issue for the on-air people is a lot harder than it may seem, leading to the danger they might walk all over them, something those at CityNews 680 certainly can sympathize with. 

"Today Programme presenter Mishal Husain says that the 'safe' moment to stop before the pips start is '59.54' - six seconds before the end of the hour.

'It is like a speeding car. And often I feel you are in that speeding car with a road block in front of you, which is the pips,' she says.

'So there is a kind of horror, and also a challenge in trying to slam the brakes on the car just before.'

Personally, I think they should restrict them just to the evenings, when people are happy to be home. They could call it "Glad It's Night, With The Pips..."

After 100 years, isn't it FINALLY time to ditch the pips? BBC dedicates entire radio show to debate scrapping the six beeps at the top of the hour after switch to digital made them far less accurate

February 5, 2024 11:10 am  #26

“Personally, I think they should restrict them just to the evenings, when people are happy to be home. They could call it "Glad It's Night, With The Pips..." “

Bravo!