sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2024 4:50 pm  #1

91.5 The Beat (CKBT Kitchener)

This is a couple of days late, but January 31st marked the 20th anniversary of 91.5 The Beat. Originally an R&B leaning Top 40 station, it morphed into a mainstream CHR a few years later and, after being taken over by Corus who put Scot Turner in as PD, for quite a while was the #2 or #3 station in the K-W Cambridge market (Chym was always 1st). Until 2016 The Beat was the only CHR in the market, but early in 2016 CFCA switched to a CHR format, now as 105.3 Virgin Radio, which split the CHR audience. Despite CFCA having the much better signal and the benefit of non-stop promotion on CTV Kitchener, The Beat was able to maintain a slim lead in audience share. Radio ratings are no longer available to the general public, so I don't know what the rankings have been the past few years. However, it is by far the better CHR station with great on air people. Admittedly I do listen around, but it is my go to CHR station. I have been a listener from the beginning - actually before that, as I listened during the testing period before they went on the air officially. 

February 3, 2024 7:09 pm  #2

Re: 91.5 The Beat (CKBT Kitchener)

Good overview Storm on 91.5 The Beat.  Last ratings I saw as well, The Beat was still beating Virgin head to head.  Virgin overall as you mentioned does have a larger coverage area and the benefit of promo on CTV Kitchener.  And you are bang on with The Beat having stronger on air personalities and they are usually live on air.  Z103 could be reasonably strong in KW too. 

February 4, 2024 1:32 am  #3

Re: 91.5 The Beat (CKBT Kitchener)

paterson1 wrote:

Z103 could be reasonably strong in KW too. 

Odd enough, Z103 is where morning man Scott came from. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.