sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2024 11:10 am  #1

Global B.C. News' Social Experiment Has The Expected Results

The newsroom at Global B.C. recently tried an experiment without telling viewers that they were the guinea pigs. What did they do? 

They had all the male anchors wear the exact same suits for a week straight, without ever changing them. 

Then, seven days later, the women on the show repeated their outfit choices for the same amount of time. 

The results can be seen here, but you can probably guess what happened.

I always felt bad for the receptionist at the TV newsroom I called home for years. My desk happened to be right beside her for a while and I could hear some of what she was telling viewers - and what they were telling her. She dealt with tons of calls every day, some of them asking about a story that had just aired and seeking more information. But many others were just idiotic time wasters, complaining about our female anchor's hair or dress or make-up, you name it. 

But she almost never got a single call about the men.

This experiment apparently shows not much has changed!

February 1, 2024 1:14 pm  #2

Re: Global B.C. News' Social Experiment Has The Expected Results

There was a CTV female anchor (I've forgotten her name) who liked to wear sleeveless dresses.
Apparently she got a flood of complaints.
I know of no similar experience for a male anchor.
I suppose if a male anchor appeared in a "wife beater" tank top stained with beer and mustard someone might say something.
But to cause a stir all a woman needs to do is the be sleeveless but otherwise wearing a very modest nice dress.

February 1, 2024 3:05 pm  #3

True, female presenters are commented on and criticized much more about things like their hair, clothes, even earrings and rings.  Maybe with the exception of one or two.... And this was a tamer outfit!

February 1, 2024 4:52 pm  #4

True, but he only wore it once!

February 1, 2024 5:12 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

True, female presenters are commented on and criticized much more about things like their hair, clothes, even earrings and rings.  Maybe with the exception of one or two.... And this was a tamer outfit!

True, but I could have done without an image of his snivelling former sidekick.

Last edited by Walter (February 1, 2024 5:13 pm)