sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2017 1:34 pm  #1

2017 Winter PPM Rating results for Toronto and the other PPM Markets

The Numeris Toronto Winter 2017 Radio PPM Ratings for the A12+, A25-54 and A35-54 demos were released earlier this week. The 13-week Winter PPM ratings were conducted November 28, 2016 to February 26, 2017.

CHFI saw a big increase because of Christmas music airing 24/7. But don't be fooled by the 48% jump to a 17.2 Share A12+. History shows the ratings fall back to around 11 Share in the Spring book. When it comes to M12+ the increase in the winter book was 60% pushing ratings for men to a 14 Share. Listening by women jumped by 36% to a 20 Share. 

The battle for news and talk on Toronto radio continues to be between CFRB leading with an 8.8 Share for Adults 12+ and 680NEWS with an 8.6 share for A12+. When it comes to women 12+ CFRB leads with a 9.8 share over 680NEWS with a 6.3 share. But when it comes to men12+, 680NEWS has an 11.3 Share to CFRB's 7.7 share.

When it comes to sports, The FAN has a 5.3 share with men 12+ while TSN has a 1.1 share men 12+.

AM640 continues to struggle. Despite introducing a new morning show, adding new female talent and moving John Oakley to afternoon drive, the station's A12+ ratings dropped 23% to a 2.3 share. M12+ is stuck at a 3.4 share. F12+ fell by 50% to a 1.3 share. 

In the money demos of A25-54, AM640 has a 1.5 Share - the same as the Fall ratings. W25-54 dropped 30% to a 0.9 Share. M25-54 are up 22% to a 2.2 Share.

You can find all the Toronto results at http://kowchmedia.com/by-the-numbers-toronto-winter-2017-radio-ppm-ratings/

Interested in rating results for the other PPM markets including Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, kowchmedia has all the numbers at http://kowchmedia.com/radio_consulting/latest-ppm-ballot-ratings/ 

March 11, 2017 10:59 pm  #2

Re: 2017 Winter PPM Rating results for Toronto and the other PPM Markets

I continue to wonder how long Corus will stick with the current AM640 format, especially considering how long the numbers have been so dismal. Nothing they do seems to help and frankly, the rollout of their new morning show was one of the strangest and worst planned moves I've ever seen in nearly 40 years in broadcasting. It was almost as if they didn't want anyone to know it was happening until the Friday before it did.

While I often like listening to some of the talkers at 640, especially Stafford, I'm not surprised the new AM drive team is not making any impressions. Few have ever heard of them in this market, they got no publicity and Corus did nothing to help them.

What's next? All traffic, like their AM outlet in Vancouver? Maybe all business, although that's failed here before, too. (Back to Mojo or The Hog, anyone?) Personally, I'd like them to stay with all talk, perhaps with a few tweaks, but really, how long can they let this go on?  

March 12, 2017 3:40 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

(Back to Mojo or The Hog, anyone?)

I'm confident you're only joking about the Hog. The Hog goes back to a time when Q107 and Edge 102 were two different companies. Plus, FM had to play 49% non hits. 

I strongly suggest a disco driven format.
I'd encourage going all oldies, but the true oldies fan is either settling for AM 740 or focused on what Boom 97.3 throws at their ears today.

The deeper hole (in the market) leans toward disco. 

The only encouraging thing about a business news format might be a hand shake with Channel Zero for content. 
They might have a good idea about how to do things better than what 1280 tried to do.

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 12, 2017 3:42 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 12, 2017 10:26 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

(Back to Mojo or The Hog, anyone?)

I'd encourage going all oldies, but the true oldies fan is either settling for AM 740 or focused on what Boom 97.3 throws at their ears today.

It's actually "boom 97.3" no capitals, lower case always... branding. ;)

March 12, 2017 10:39 am  #5

Another "I hear 640 is switching to traffic" thread? Because this board has been accurately predicting said change for over a decade now.

If a station is making profit from advertisers, does it matter that they're not #1?

If it was always about 12+ share as Kowch likes to highlight, shouldn't AM740 or G987 roll up shop? If you're not CFRB or CHUM or CHFI, what's the point in operating, right?

March 12, 2017 12:33 pm  #6

Responding to Fjiri: In the post I use A12+ because it is bulk ... it involves ALL listeners. But the money demos for advertisers is A25-54 or A35-54. There is also 18-34 for FM stations targeting younger listeners. That is why followers of the Yellow Board should go beyond the post and check out the links to see results of all three demos A12+, A25-54 and A35-54 (that by the way includes All, Female & Male demos).

The male demos are important for stations like Q107 and AM640 in Toronto or CHOM-FM in Montreal. That is their target. Females are important to FM stations like CHFI, CHUM-FM and Boom among others. That is why to get the full picture go to http://kowchmedia.com/by-the-numbers-toronto-winter-2017-radio-ppm-ratings/