sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2024 10:34 am  #1

This One Simple Super Bowl Commerical Could Usurp All The Others

It's an idea that I'm not sure has ever been done before in Super Bowl history. 

One in-game spot will be leveraging all the others during the Big Broadcast by reminding you that every commercial you see is related to them. It's Door Dash, which on Feb. 11th, will unveil a campaign like no other. As a means to show it will deliver almost everything, the company's SB spot is a contest that promises one winner will be "delivered" one each of every single product advertised during the championship.

That means everything from chicken wings and cases of different brands of beer to a new car and truck - as long as it's in a spot, a lucky person will find every single product brought straight to their home. 

It's brilliant and it kind of reminds me of the famous "Last Contest" that was a big deal on radio in the early 70s - promise huge prizes but only reward them to one person one time. 

"From cars to snacks to desserts, self-care products and even tax service, DoorDash will give it all away. Just crack the code during DoorDash's Big Game commercial for a chance to obtain it all."

To win, you have to enter a code on a special website - which is already up and running - and one person will get the loot. 

Terry O'Reilly would be proud. Unfortunately, the rules state it's only open to U.S. residents and as yet I've haven't heard of a Canadian counterpart. 

The spot below is voiced by Laurence Fishburne and unlike other multi-million dollar expensive ads, seems like it cost almost nothing to make. 

January 30, 2024 12:44 pm  #2

Re: This One Simple Super Bowl Commerical Could Usurp All The Others

SOWNY user Mace sent me this URL for what I believe was a Super Bowl ad that was banned before it ran on the broadcast. I think he said the year was 2012.

It's for a condom company and while it's extremely effective, it's also very creepy and weird and I can only imagine the reaction if they'd ever actually allowed it to run. 

Beware if you watch it. It's pretty hard to forget. 

January 30, 2024 6:20 pm  #3

Hmm, here's a wrinkle the folks at Door Dash might not have thought of. They've promised one winner will get everything shown in a commercial on Super Bowl Sunday. Which means they'll have to pay for service from their direct competitor, Uber Eats, which is running a spot during the game featuring David and Victoria Beckham. I wonder how they'll be handling that awkward moment.

January 30, 2024 6:46 pm  #4

That condom ad is fabulously ballsy (pardon the pun). I'm not surprised it was banned at all.

But it does remind me how safe (read: wimpy) we are in NA when it comes to ads. I've seen ads from Europe and Australia that would make whoever the western equivalent of Mary Whitehouse is keel right over.

The Beckham ad is a great riff of the recent Netflix series on David's career.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (January 30, 2024 6:51 pm)

January 30, 2024 10:58 pm  #5

I would agree that was an effective ad, but getting there was not half the fun. And as many commenters on YouTube noted, more people seem to be more upset about that awful scene with the cat than when human beings were depicted involved in grisly tragedy. I have to admit that, as a dog owner, it was the most upsetting part to me, too! 

There's no way this thing could ever run on any network in North America. Especially not on the Super Bowl with so many eyes on that screen. But it sure was fascinating to see it. And the fact it even got made and approved by an ad agency and a client is somewhat astounding.