sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2024 7:53 am  #1

1967 Maple Leafs Cup Title Remembered By Man Who Called Game On TV

Veteran and long retired broadcaster Brian McFarlane looks back at a date that still lives in a sort of happy infamy for many - the very last time the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup. It was Canada's Centennial year and no one could have predicted it would be almost 60 years and counting without another similar moment in the city. 

In this terrific personal recap, the 92-year-old McFarlane looks back at that night and the ones that followed, including why none of the broadcasters were invited to the celebration, along with videos of post-game interviews with legends like Frank Mahovlich, Dave Keon, Tim Horton and Terry Sawchuk. 

It was also another last - the final time Foster Hewitt would call an NHL game. What a way to go out. 

"I was a 36-year-old broadcaster in my second year in the Gardens gondola -- the broadcast booth -- working alongside Bill Hewitt to call the game on national television. Bill’s legendary dad, Foster Hewitt, was on radio nearby. My wife, Joan, was somewhere in the crowd.

I assume there were a hundred or so children and teenagers at the game that night -- maybe more -- so chances of either my wife or myself living long enough to brag about being the oldest witness to a Leafs Stanley Cup celebration are rather slim. But we could be the oldest couple to be part of it."

1967 Maple Leafs Cup Title Remembered By Man Who Called Game On TV