sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2024 5:05 pm  #1

Famed Canadian Director Norman Jewison Dies At 97

The legendary helmer's films include "Moonstruck," "Fiddler on the Roof," "In The Heat Of The Night," and "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming." He was nominated for multiple Oscars during his long career. And earlier on, he worked as a director for the CBC, including some Wayne and Shuster shows. 

He founded the Canadian Film Institute in Toronto, which helps train professionals in the Canadian film and television industries.

All in all, a pretty remarkable career for the son of a Toronto dry goods salesman. 

Norman Jewison, ‘Moonstruck’ and ‘In the Heat of the Night’ Director, Dies at 97

Statement from Directors Guild of America

Film & TV  Credits

January 22, 2024 10:05 pm  #2

Re: Famed Canadian Director Norman Jewison Dies At 97

Jewison was also a WW2 veteran.  He served in the Royal Canadian Navy. The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming was a funny movie with a great cast.  

January 23, 2024 10:12 am  #3

He wanted to make a film about Malcolm X. Spike Lee wanted to make it more though.

January 23, 2024 10:52 am  #4

As a poker enthusiast, my favourite Jewison film is The Cincinatti Kid.
The cast alone is spectacular:
Steve McQueen
Edward G. Robinson
Karl Malden
Ann-Margret
Tuesday Weld
Rip Torn
Cab Calloway
Jack Weston
Plus a host of other familiar faces. Also, like In The Heat Of The Night
, a theme sung by Ray Charles.

January 23, 2024 11:59 am  #5

Tq345 wrote:

As a poker enthusiast, my favourite Jewison film is The Cincinatti Kid.
The cast alone is spectacular:
Steve McQueen
Edward G. Robinson
Karl Malden
Ann-Margret
Tuesday Weld
Rip Torn
Cab Calloway
Jack Weston
Plus a host of other familiar faces. Also, like In The Heat Of The Night
, a theme sung by Ray Charles.

He took it over after the producers fired Sam Peckinpah. Same thing apparently happened years later - he was invited to take over Heaven's Gate as the production ran away but said hell no.

January 23, 2024 2:17 pm  #6

When I was a kid I saw Jesus Christ, Superstar.  I had a profound effect on me and still does.  I promised myself if I ever met Norm Jewison I would ask him about the final scene where a small figure appears at the bottom of the screen.  Was it an errant cameraman, was it symbolic of Christ rising, was it, was it, was it?  Later highdef versions allowed for an image of a Sheppard.  I was fortunate enough to meet Norm at a private birthday party.  Here was my chance!  I had been waiting over 45 years for this moment.  I was very nervous.  He was delightful.  He looked at me with those mischievous eyes and said "it is whatever you want it to be".  I felt like Ralphie when he learns secret of Little Orphan Annie's decoder pin. But all in all, in was great meeting and hanging out with him that evening.

January 23, 2024 5:18 pm  #7

Bill Brioux was on  Scott Thompson's show on CHML this afternoon talking about Norman Jewison.  When he was hired to direct Fiddler On The Roof, Jewison mentioned to the producers right at the start that he wasn't Jewish.  Apparently throughout school years and even in Hollywood, many people assumed he was Jewish simply because of his last name. 

Also didn't know that he has owned a farm north of Toronto for decades and according to Brioux spent a lot of time there.