sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 8, 2017 7:22 pm  #1

Sam The Record Man sign to return this summer

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 9, 2017 1:26 am  #2

Re: Sam The Record Man sign to return this summer

Cool.  I spent many an hour in that store...from it's original shape and size to its final configuration.  Sam was a really, truly good guy.  [I also used to bowl in a fun league with his daughter...Sandy]

Sam was as important to music in Toronto, and across the country, as anyone.  He /we collectively deserve this honour.  For those who never included Sam the Record Man as a must visit location on virtually every trip to downtown Toronto...well...YOU just might not get it.  That's OK...some of us obviously do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that Dale.

Last edited by Old Codger (March 9, 2017 1:38 am)

March 9, 2017 11:06 am  #3

Too right! I lined up many boxing days to buy albums for a $1.99 plus (if I remember correctly) 3% sales tax.

A friend of mine and I even skipped our afternoon high school classes and took off to go down to the store.We thought for sure we were going to be busted after my friend grabbed the upright pole and swung into a double seat at the back of the Rogers Rd. streetcar. His elbow went right through the closed window sending the bits of glass to the ground where the car was stopped at the loop at Bicknell. No one else was on the car and the TTC Operator just shrugged it off.

Fond memories.

March 9, 2017 1:19 pm  #4

I used to go all the way up to the 3rd floor about twice a year and go through as many of the albums stored away up there as possible.  I'd find maybe a dozen - 15 lp's I considered interesting...pay a buck each for them and then take them home for marathon listening sessions.  Couple in the 3 or 4 albums I'd purchased on the main floor and I'd have a ton o' stuff to keep me busy for awhile.  I stopped buying 45's in 1966.  Albums were all I wanted.  I'd visit Sam's downtown at least 6 times a year and the one out in the Royal York Plaza almost weekly. 

Later in life...Kopps Kollectables on Queen became my music store of choice.  They had all kinds of things you could not find elsewhere.  As a music lover [explains my distaste for 'talk' radio] those destinations were an important part of my enjoying life.  Music is a key.  Has been since I was 2 or 3 years of age.  Thanks Mom.