sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2024 11:01 am  #1

Watching Cdn. Sports? You're Seeing Gambling Ads You Might Not Expect

Calculations by CBC's Marketplace show Canadian sports viewers are being exposed to both overt and subtle gambling messages on every televised event. The total during each broadcast: about 21 percent. It varies between the specific leagues, with the two NBA games in the survey coming out the worst and the NHL slightly less. But only slightly.

It's almost impossible to ignore it all, and it's especially triggering for those with gambling problems. And that's sparking calls for government intervention.

But for now, on sports TV in Ontario at least, all bets are on. 

Hey, sports fans: You spend up to 20% of every game watching gambling advertising 

January 19, 2024 5:27 pm  #2

Re: Watching Cdn. Sports? You're Seeing Gambling Ads You Might Not Expect

20% is precisely too much for me, especially the dynamite Fanduel Duo that seems to pop up
everywhere during the NFL playoffs. Thank goodness for my mute button.

January 20, 2024 1:10 pm  #3

Re: Watching Cdn. Sports? You're Seeing Gambling Ads You Might Not Expect

We were inundated with ads from the beginning and it was suggested that this was because online gaming was being launched and it would die down as company's money ran out and like the litany of pot stores, the number of players in the game would be reduced as the market settled in.    What's happened instead is there seems to be new ones or rebranded old ones showing up and even with restrictions on athletes doing them, the number of ads and placements keeps rising.  This is especially with the new ad technologies putting ads on the boards as seen from the centre camera.   The president of the gambling association's opinion is that the number of ads is OK, but I disagree.   There are far too many and the gambling category appears to make up 35 - 50% of the ad content of hockey games (I don't watch Basketball).    They should restrict the ads to only ones that include the 19 years-old + warning and see how that goes in reducing the number first, then consider restricting the ad time they're allowed if the flood continues.    If they don't, this will be more than it is, an annoying problem with ads, it will be churning out kids with gambling problems by the dozens and then it becomes a public health issue.    There's currently a small amount of the proceeds going towards gambling addiction programs but that's like saying 'we'll sell dope loaded with fentanyl and pay for the funerals to compensate'.   It's not a solution.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (January 20, 2024 1:12 pm)