sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2024 12:55 pm  #1

RIP “Fly Guy” Rob Valentine

Rob De Cicco, who’s worked at CHUM and MIX 999 doing traffic reports, has passed away. 

I remember going up with him many times in the plane in the afternoons to correct some technical issue when he was at CHUM. 

Here is the link to the funeral home.

https://memorials.albion.bernardofuneralhomes.com/roberto-de-cicco/5361318/index.php?_ga=2.247927936.66909973.1705423720-144686453.1705423720&_gl=1*8csq4*_ga*MTQ0Njg2NDUzLjE3MDU0MjM3MjA.

January 16, 2024 1:54 pm  #2

Re: RIP “Fly Guy” Rob Valentine

I mostly remember Rob, who went as Guy Valentine on the air, from his time at 1010. He also worked for a time at 680. Paul Cook mentioned his death at the conclusion of the 680 morning show today.

RIP.

January 16, 2024 1:56 pm  #3

This is very sad news. Was he ill or was this a sudden thing? 

His Memorial Wall on the Tribute archive is populated with some familiar names, including Bruce Barker, Claude Feig and Steve Kowch. 

You can read them and/or add your own thoughts here

January 16, 2024 4:22 pm  #4

I am so deeply, deeply shocked. Worked with him over the years at CFRB.  Always a big smile.  Never complained about his split shift that was indeed very tiring for him.  Far too young to leave us.  God Bless Roberto.

Last edited by John D (January 16, 2024 4:23 pm)

January 16, 2024 4:40 pm  #5

This Go Fund Me page outlines what happened to the famous and apparently much beloved Fly Guy. What a sad ending and what a terrible fight it must have been for him. He was only 60 years old. My sympathies to his family and friends.

January 16, 2024 6:34 pm  #6

I went to Seneca with him, we worked at the campus radio station (CRSC) and he did the best PeeWee Herman impressions. Then we met again at CJBK in London, he was doing early evenings, I was in sales.

Rob was always kind, professional, didn't take himself so seriously, he was a family guy (losing his parents).

Gone too soon and will be missed.

RIP Rob! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 16, 2024 6:42 pm  #7

This is very sad news.  I liked hearing him on Mix 999 as "Guy in the sky". 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 16, 2024 7:18 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

This is very sad news. Was he ill or was this a sudden thing? 

Paul Cook said on the air this morning that Rob had been battling cancer.

January 16, 2024 9:30 pm  #9

Rob was one of the sweetest people I have ever had the pleasure of working with.  I spent lots of time talking with Rob via two-way when he was in the plane during the morning show.  He loved being on the radio and was sincerely dedicated to traffic. 
I got to know Rob a little better in a different capacity when I was able to bring him back to CFRB.  But he was still the sweetest guy with all the same passions.  One of which I learned was his family.

Rest in peace Gino Valentino .

Last edited by MB (January 16, 2024 11:09 pm)