sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2024 4:44 pm  #1

The Bills Are Alive With The Sound Of NFL, But Should You Mention It?

I heard Deb Hutton (apparently still in for Reshmi Nair!) on CFRB's afternoon drive show, and she mentioned she would have all the updates on the Bills game from Buffalo as they happen. It's an unusual situation, since there's almost never a key game played on a Monday afternoon. 

So here's the question, something I've always wondered about: does it make more sense not to mention the big event that's on at the same time as your show? For one thing, if you're interested in the Bills game, chances are pretty good you know it's on WGR.

And if you couldn't care less about football, like yours truly, you really don't care what the score is. 

And a third scenario - if somehow you actually forgot it was on, are you just reminding listeners to go find it and turn your show off?

This is a question I've long pondered - when something big is on against you, is it better to update it or just ignore it and hope people catch up with it later? After all, the name of the game is keeping listeners tuned in to the station you work for, not seeking the competition. Or would you say it's foolish to pretend it's not happening and part of your gig is to keep up listeners up to date regardless?

What would you do in this case?

January 15, 2024 4:56 pm  #2

Re: The Bills Are Alive With The Sound Of NFL, But Should You Mention It?

Keep listeners up to date, regardless.

If I'm a long time listener (first time caller), I'll let you waste the ten seconds on an update, even if I couldn't care less about the subject matter.

If I'm a fan of both, I'm already hopping back and forth.

If I'm not a listener, then I don't matter lol.

January 15, 2024 5:01 pm  #3

Even for those not interested specifically, it does re-enforce that the station is live and "local." and gives you confidence that the current things you *do* care about will be covered

January 15, 2024 5:11 pm  #4

This reminds of something that happened a long time ago, when Team Canada was playing in the final game of the gold medal match in the Olympics. Obviously, this was going to be a huge event, and I remember talking to my old much missed friend Mark Dailey about it. 

He was scheduled to anchor CityPulse Tonight at 10 PM in those days, and sure enough, the newscast was on directly opposite the Big Game. We knew the audience that night would be tiny, so I offered him a joke prize of $20 if he'd sign on the show after the teasers by saying, "Good evening, both of you!"

Of course he didn't do it, but it would have been hilarious if he'd taken me up on it! (As I recall, they led with a copy item on the game in progress and the current score.)

January 16, 2024 11:41 am  #5

Was taught (at Humber College) not to ignore big events like the Bills game while on the air.   Instead right off the top and throughout the show promote immediate updates all evening long, as well as promoting what you had ahead.  And give the game updates.   Gives the listener the best of both worlds, and it really does show that you are live and on top of what is going on in your area.  

January 16, 2024 11:49 am  #6

It's a news station and that is sports news .. 

January 16, 2024 2:07 pm  #7

This may be the opposite of my original question in this thread. I just watched CTV News at noon and they had Jessica Smith doing the weather. (Hey, at least they had somebody actually there!)

But during one of her radar maps, she mentioned that there could be more squalls in the Niagara Region, for "those in Buffalo watching the big game."

I'm not a football fan and even I know that happened yesterday! Hey, it's easy to make a mistake, but that one was more than just an error!

January 16, 2024 2:59 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

This may be the opposite of my original question in this thread. I just watched CTV News at noon and they had Jessica Smith doing the weather. (Hey, at least they had somebody actually there!)

But during one of her radar maps, she mentioned that there could be more squalls in the Niagara Region, for "those in Buffalo watching the big game."

I'm not a football fan and even I know that happened yesterday! Hey, it's easy to make a mistake, but that one was more than just an error!

You must not be able to rewind, she said, "in towards Niagara and for folks who were out in Buffalo watching the game." - not sure why that's relevant now, but at least she knew when the game was. 

January 16, 2024 3:56 pm  #9

I did rewind it three times, because I couldn't believe what I heard. And I'm sure that's what she said. I even looked on the closed captioning, and it seemed to confirm my version. I'll take your word for it, because it did seem terribly unusual, but I'm positive about what I heard. 

January 16, 2024 4:58 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

This reminds of something that happened a long time ago, when Team Canada was playing in the final game of the gold medal match in the Olympics. Obviously, this was going to be a huge event, and I remember talking to my old much missed friend Mark Dailey about it. 

He was scheduled to anchor CityPulse Tonight at 10 PM in those days, and sure enough, the newscast was on directly opposite the Big Game. We knew the audience that night would be tiny, so I offered him a joke prize of $20 if he'd sign on the show after the teasers by saying, "Good evening, both of you!"

Of course he didn't do it, but it would have been hilarious if he'd taken me up on it! (As I recall, they led with a copy item on the game in progress and the current score.)

Assuming this is men’s hockey you’re talking about, I’m curious which recent Olympics would’ve had Team Canada playing for gold at 10:00 p.m. ET?

January 16, 2024 4:59 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I did rewind it three times, because I couldn't believe what I heard. And I'm sure that's what she said. I even looked on the closed captioning, and it seemed to confirm my version. I'll take your word for it, because it did seem terribly unusual, but I'm positive about what I heard. 

You rewound three times and still heard it wrong?

You can skip to the 23:20 mark here: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video/c2842209-ctv-news-toronto-at-noon-for-tuesday--january-16--2024?binId=1.3378525

But if it gives you any comfort, hearing difficulties are likely a common trait among people watching noon newscasts in 2024. Surprised HearingLife hasn’t scooped up a sponsorship!

January 16, 2024 5:16 pm  #12

Danny Petty wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Assuming this is men’s hockey you’re talking about, I’m curious which recent Olympics would’ve had Team Canada playing for gold at 10:00 p.m. ET?

The game was already in progress when the news began and everyone knew the audience would be very small that night. 

January 16, 2024 5:21 pm  #13

Danny Petty wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

You rewound three times and still heard it wrong?

You can skip to the 23:20 mark here: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video/c2842209-ctv-news-toronto-at-noon-for-tuesday--january-16--2024?binId=1.3378525

But if it gives you any comfort, hearing difficulties are likely a common trait among people watching noon newscasts in 2024. Surprised HearingLife hasn’t scooped up a sponsorship!

Must be all those headphones turned up to full volume during my old radio days! If I did mishear this - three times no less - then my apologies to Ms. Smith. 

January 16, 2024 5:40 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Danny Petty wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The game was already in progress when the news began and everyone knew the audience would be very small that night. 

Would’ve been tiny for sure, but that doesn’t answer my question. From the time Mark joined Citytv to his passing, the national men’s team played for Olympic gold in 1992 at Albertville, 1994 at Lillehammer, 2002 at Salt Lake City, and 2010 at Vancouver. None of those games were still underway at 10:00 p.m. ET.