sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2024 5:25 pm  #1

Kevin Newman on Peter Mansbridge's commercial debut

Former Global/CTV and CBC anchor Kevin Newman has some thoughts on Peter Mansbridge's debut as a commercial spokesperson for a home equity bank. Also interesting to read some of the comments from former journos about his decision.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jkevinnewman_at-a-time-when-the-publics-trust-in-real-activity-7151627723017195520-Cu1v?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

January 13, 2024 6:51 pm  #2

Re: Kevin Newman on Peter Mansbridge's commercial debut

I strongly disagree with Kevin. Peter has been very active in his retirement. He is writing books and currently hosts a daily podcast on Sirius XM and podcast platforms called The Bridge. It is an hour-long discussion on national and international affairs with minimal breaks. Excellent thought-provoking topics and discussions. It is very popular and far better than the bits & bytes of boring talk radio. Every Monday his guest is Janice Stein from the Munk school discussing the Middle East and Ukraine conflicts. He is doing what he enjoys doing in retirement and since he is no longer a national TV anchor I see nothing wrong in his working in advertising/promotion to make extra income.
More power to him. He sounds great on his podcasts. By the way, what is Kevin doing in his retirement years? 

January 13, 2024 7:08 pm  #3

He made the Cronkite mistake of retiring too early. Cronkite regretted it. 

Last edited by cash (January 13, 2024 7:09 pm)

January 13, 2024 10:25 pm  #4

Peter was 5 days away from his 69th birthday when he retired on July 1 2017.  Cronkite was 65, and both continued to do special features for their respective networks after stepping down.   Peter is a great guest on talk shows.  Heard him on AM 640 and he had a lot of interesting stories.  Like Lloyd Robertson always a professional.

January 13, 2024 11:13 pm  #5

Peter can and should do whatever he wants.
He's no longer beholden to the CBC.
He has a wealth of news and broadcasting experience.
Maybe if he was suddenly advocating for the white supremacist Daly Stormer or something that would be pretty horrible, but again he is his own man and he can do what he wants.
Personally I'd like to hear him on TV or radio shows talking about what he really feels now that he's no longer shackled by what he can and can't do by the CBC.

January 14, 2024 11:34 am  #6

Peter turned down CBS in 1987 after they offered him a co-hosting job for the new CBS This Morning.  This sometimes forgotten story involved The National anchor Knowlton Nash, who offered to step down if Mansbridge would stay at CBC.  Nash had also been a former CBC news executive. 

CBS was offering reportedly up to $1 million per year in addition to living, clothing allowances and limo.  CBC's anchoring The National paid $250,000 per year and Mansbridge eventually did sign a 10 year contract.  He had mentioned at the time that he followed his heart and gut, decideding to stay at CBC.

He did say various times that he didn't regret it   Here is how the LA  Times covered the story when Peter turned down the CBS offer..https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-11-27-ca-16752-story.html

January 14, 2024 1:19 pm  #7

Well said and worth repeating.

newsguy1 wrote:

Peter can and should do whatever he wants.
He's no longer beholden to the CBC.
He has a wealth of news and broadcasting experience.
Maybe if he was suddenly advocating for the white supremacist Daly Stormer or something that would be pretty horrible, but again he is his own man and he can do what he wants.
Personally I'd like to hear him on TV or radio shows talking about what he really feels now that he's no longer shackled by what he can and can't do by the CBC.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 14, 2024 2:46 pm  #8

I do think the commercial is genuinely funny. Kudos to CHIP for getting someone their target demo trusts.
Now that he's retired, I feel Peter is a free agent and can do what he wants. Had he appeared in this spot while still employed, I'd have the opposite stance.

Yes, news people aren't meant to have an opinion and are supposed to be impartial in order to deliver the facts without a hint of bias....but Peter isn't a newsperson anymore. Sometimes tough to do but you have to separate the man from the legacy.

Lastly, according to his biography, Peter did end up earning close to what CBS offered him all those years ago.