sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2017 10:51 pm  #1

Why I flogged staff of my radio station – GM

[Via Eagle]

John Idumange, the General Manager of Radio Bayelsa, Glory FM, on Friday confirmed that he flogged four union leaders of the station in self-defence.
Idumange told the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Yenagoa that the incident happened on Monday after the union leaders shut down the FM station operated by the state government.
The Radio Bayelsa Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists and Radio Television and Theatre Arts Workers Union had alleged that Idumange was running the station outside public service rules.
Idumange, who explained the details of the incident to NAN, alleged that the unions in the station were working against his reforms aimed at repositioning the broadcast outfit.
He said: “At about 7.20pm on Monday, the day RATTAWU and NUJ embarked on strike, I heard voices near my window.
“So I went out to see what was happening.
“I saw four persons, one of them a lady.
“I could recognise Tonye Yemoleigha, one of the union leaders, who was in white shirt.
“I asked why they were there after chasing away all the workers.
“Tonye stood up and asked if the compound belonged to me.
“At that point, I discovered he was ready for a fight, but I did not bulge.
“He brought his hands near my eyes so I blocked it.
“I had learnt Karate years back.
“One of them threw a chair at me and they all rushed to fight me.
“I had to fight back in self-defence.
“They could have beaten me up but my Karate skills rescued me.”

More...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 25, 2017 10:58 am  #2

Re: Why I flogged staff of my radio station – GM

If memos don't get the message across, there's always flogging.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 27, 2017 3:34 pm  #3

sort of reminds me of roulette records (back in the early '60's). when it came to artists who complained about their "remuneration", management (of this mob owned label) was known to hang the complainer(s) out a window (several stories from the ground) until the artist(s) changed their "tune".

February 27, 2017 4:09 pm  #4

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 1, 2017 1:40 pm  #5

Better to be flogged out than locked out? 

Radio station where manager flogged staff goes off-air

March 1, 2017 3:09 pm  #6

I wish that there was such a thing as retroactive floggings.  Over 45 years ... I can think of a couple of P.D.s, a * 'sales manager' and an 'upper' management dink who certainly deserved a good old-fashioned shit kicking.  But 'pros' don't do that.  [Even when it is likely the best solution.]

None of my on-air compatriots ever deserved that kind of a reaction from THIS old fart...not even once for even a split second.  I was ever-so-lucky to work with some VERY decent folk.

I recall the GM saying to me re: the aforementioned 'sales manager' * ... ... ... "If you have an 'issue' with something he's doing...why can't you just walk into his office and talk with him about it?  "Because"...I replied..."every time I walk in there I need to be wearing a pair of oversized, industrial strength hip-waders just to get through the bullshit."

March 5, 2017 8:11 pm  #7

Given the apparent climate within the industry, I'm only surprised this management technique isn't utilized more more often.

March 6, 2017 4:00 pm  #8