sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2017 11:05 pm  #1

T.O. Sun: Voice Of Leafs Joe Bowen Closes In On Calling 3,000th Game

From The Toronto Sun:

"Yelling at the exec about to hire you to go forth and multiply is usually a career ending move. Bowen did just that when the phone rang in late September 1982 at his Halifax abode. Len Bramson of Telemedia Sports introduced himself, said he’d heard Bowen’s audition tape, was impressed with his resume from working junior games in Sudbury and the AHL Nova Scotia Voyageurs and asked: ‘Would you like the Leafs job?’

Convinced this was a prank by his friend, overnight host Allan Davis at CJCL, the flagship Leaf station, Bowen just snorted. It was so late in the summer, months after Bowen sent his tape and the day after his mortgage was okayed on a new house in Halifax.“F--- you,” Bowen boomed into the receiver, his pipes as powerful then as today at age 65. “I don’t need you being an a--hole.”

There was silence and then Bramson politely repeated himself, with Bowen slowly realizing this call was for real.“

I finally said: ‘Uh, this isn’t Allan Davis?’ Then I did the old Jackie Gleason ‘humana, humana,’ trying to figure out how to apologize. My dream job and I’d just told the guy to screw off. I’d have slit my wrists if there was anything sharp around.”

More

March 6, 2017 12:23 am  #2

Re: T.O. Sun: Voice Of Leafs Joe Bowen Closes In On Calling 3,000th Game

Good for you Joe.  You do a bang-up job.  Home team bias on local broadcasts is 100% cool with me.  3,000?  Holy Mackinaw!!!

I used to watch you 'do' the sports on Sudbury TV back in the early to mid 70s when I was working up north.  Been a fan ever since.  There's now way more of you to appreciate.  [Not that I'm still wearing the same sized pants either.  Tack on a bonus 4 inches.]

March 6, 2017 1:01 am  #3

My press box seat for junior games at the old London Gardens was just to the left of the visiting play-by-play spot.  (Once in awhile, those poor souls got desperate and borrowed me for a between-periods interview). Joe, calling Sudbury Wolves games, was astonishingly good in those days as well, and what's more -- he worked solo!  Anyone who has worked PBP at that level can tell you how challenging that is.  Congrats on the milestone, Joe. Great announcer, great guy.  (Mind you, he cheers for the Fighting Irish, so no one is perfect!!)  ;)

March 6, 2017 1:09 pm  #4

ONEIL wrote:

There have been more than a few games where the TV PBP was muted and Bowen was on the radio..

Me too.  Used to do it with Tom and Jerry for Blue Jays baseball too.