sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2024 9:18 am  #1

It's no wonder they're 1.3

You would think the radio suits at Bell would be concerned about the basement-dwelling CFRB and do something to improve their current abysmal ratings.  They could start with demolishing the morning roundtables and re-invent the format.  It’s the same old same old voices every morning.  Commentators’ garbled audio, others who speak to fast, repetition running rampant.  No wonder the mighty 1010 is no more, just confirms Bell would have trouble running a one-car funeral.

January 10, 2024 9:55 am  #2

Re: It's no wonder they're 1.3

Case in point on Wednesday morning - Laura Babcock on as a Roundtable panellist yet again. Is there no one else they can get? Enough already!

January 10, 2024 10:37 am  #3

I think Newstalk 1010's dilemma is a local issue and not so much who owns them.  Other Bell talk stations (what is left of them) like CJAD Montreal, CFRA Ottawa, and CKTB St. Catharine's sound fine. Even TSN 1050 on the rare occasion I tune them in sound better than CFRB.   1010 needs some major shake ups, as much on air and whoever is in charge.  The station is stale sounding, boring, not entertaining and needs some new hosts, shows and management. 

And since national advertisers and many broadcasters have written off the wealthy 55+ demographic anyway, do ratings really mean much anymore for a station like Newstalk 1010?

January 10, 2024 10:45 am  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Even TSN 1050 on the rare occasion I tune them in sound better than CFRB.   

Who is the current PD for 1010? At one point, to keep costs down, they let Mr. Bendexin go. 
The "Sports guy" took over as PD for both stations. No need to make 1010 look better if Sports is your baby...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 10, 2024 10:49 am  #5

paterson1 wrote:

And since national advertisers and many broadcasters have written off the wealthy 55+ demographic anyway, do ratings really mean much anymore for a station like Newstalk 1010?

Yes. They're still the biggest correlation to revenue in bigger markets.

January 10, 2024 10:50 am  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Who is the current PD for 1010? At one point, to keep costs down, they let Mr. Bendexin go. 
The "Sports guy" took over as PD for both stations. No need to make 1010 look better if Sports is your baby...

Yes, a PD with two stations in a company constantly looking to cut costs is going to intentionally neglect 50% of his job because he's a "sports guy." Good post.

January 10, 2024 10:54 am  #7

His name is Jeff MacDonald and he's been looking after both 1050 and 1010 for just over two years. He was the sole PD for TSN 1050 for over nine years prior to that, and worked for Sportsnet as Director of Content for about a year before landing at Bell Media. He's also previously worked for the Discovery Channel and the CBC. 

Here's his resume from Linked-In.

His assistant PD is a board fave - Robert Turner, who has certainly seen the changes at 1010. He's been there for over 25 years. 

January 10, 2024 11:40 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Case in point on Wednesday morning - Laura Babcock on as a Roundtable panellist yet again. Is there no one else they can get? Enough already!

Agreed. I'm tired of hearing her name and hearing her pop up yet again on more appearances that I usually tune out when she does. I don't even typically listen to 1010 more than an hour or two a day (usually Moore) yet I feel over-saturated with someone who's not even on-staff as a host. As you've pointed out before, she frequently joins Jim Richards in the evenings as well. It's not even about the particular person (I'm sure she's a lovely individual and perhaps had some novel perspective about 1800 appearances ago), it's the repetition.

January 10, 2024 1:23 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, a PD with two stations in a company constantly looking to cut costs is going to intentionally neglect 50% of his job because he's a "sports guy." Good post.

Thanks! & 1010 is just a dumping ground for other sports when 1050 already has a sport to cover.
Bell does not care about 1010. They only care about Sports. (in Toronto)

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 10, 2024 1:25 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 10, 2024 10:52 pm  #10

I believe these talk stations have to take a stand, I am watching Tim Cast on YouTube right now, they are hosting a live studio audience round table with guests Vivek Ramaswamy, presidential candidate and Candace Owens, it is a fascinating chat with a younger skew in the audience.  Talk radio here is the same old same old and lacks vision, creativity and need to present ideas and solutions to real issues.

We are facing some major contentious issues in humanity...and we need dialogue, truth, justice, and fairness for the middle class family unit. 

I challenge talk radio to take a position, stand up to the government that feeds them and commit to doing balanced journalism, it is not about right or left, but dealing with real life issues. For example the news that Toronto is raising taxes that could cripple the average affordability for homeowners. 

Talk radio is pablum, it is bullshit and isn't having the guts to take on the narratives that we have been fed for the past 4 years. They need to commit to doing real journalism and speaking up where it is needed. Without criticism and insults, but to consider, listen, respect to the voices and ideas that aren't being expressed in media today. 

Here is a link to the live cast on Timcast tonight, political representatives were present, students, and the conversation talked about the constitution, faith, health, the legitimacy of the vaccines, gun violence, sexuality and they handled each issue fairly.  Normal Timcast shows are talking real issues in a fair manner, yes they lean right, but they talk through the issues with a balanced approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-pSXZEYVMs

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 10, 2024 10:58 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Thanks! & 1010 is just a dumping ground for other sports when 1050 already has a sport to cover.
Bell does not care about 1010. They only care about Sports. (in Toronto)

[print]
[frame]

January 10, 2024 11:10 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

I think Newstalk 1010's dilemma is a local issue and not so much who owns them.  Other Bell talk stations (what is left of them) like CJAD Montreal, CFRA Ottawa, and CKTB St. Catharine's sound fine. Even TSN 1050 on the rare occasion I tune them in sound better than CFRB. 

This is correct.

CFRA, for example, moved aggressively to evolve from right-wing-deshboard-pounding outrage radio. Additionally, the GM (Now the head of CTV News) took full advantage of CTV Ottawa's absolute local TV dominance to promote and enhance the programming of the station. CTV anchors don't just read the news, they host shows - successfully. 

It's all very vanilla and boring, but it's Ottawa, so that works.

Further, Ottawa talk stations have traditionally have had an advantage in the market as CRTC regulations intentionally suppressed listening to FM music stations.  

January 11, 2024 12:07 am  #13

And obviously it looks like they are trying to push Jerry Agar out by increments.
First by cutting his show down by an hour
But on the other hand they don't seem to have anyone waiting with fresh new blood.
John Moore seems to keep trying to soldier on but is saddled with warmed over guests like what's his name the ex cop and a worn out former premier Kathleen Wynne talking about "what works and what doesn't"
C'mon can't a Toronto radio station find anyone better qualified than a small town right wing hick with a weird speech impediment and former board operators with no journalistic experience?
Add to that a mess of an afternoon drive show, and repetitive topics.
Not to mention unlistenable weekend programming consisting of informercial programs about buying gold, real estate buying and employment beefs.
Don't get me started on three hours of a trivia program on Sundays hosted by a dolt who constantly makes mistakes (and I don't even listen for more than about 20 minutes.)

January 11, 2024 1:16 am  #14

The Jerry Agar Show was rescheduled to accommodate John Moore. This is well known and discussed on earlier postings.
Kathleen Wynne is on the show because John Moore wants her on the show. He has always spoken about her sympathetically or enthusiastically, depending on the the day. Without doubt he considers her viewpoints notable.

January 11, 2024 10:20 am  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I think Newstalk 1010's dilemma is a local issue and not so much who owns them.  Other Bell talk stations (what is left of them) like CJAD Montreal, CFRA Ottawa, and CKTB St. Catharine's sound fine. Even TSN 1050 on the rare occasion I tune them in sound better than CFRB. 

This is correct.

CFRA, for example, moved aggressively to evolve from right-wing-deshboard-pounding outrage radio. Additionally, the GM (Now the head of CTV News) took full advantage of CTV Ottawa's absolute local TV dominance to promote and enhance the programming of the station. CTV anchors don't just read the news, they host shows - successfully. 

It's all very vanilla and boring, but it's Ottawa, so that works.

Further, Ottawa talk stations have traditionally have had an advantage in the market as CRTC regulations intentionally suppressed listening to FM music stations.  

Not so sure about the last comment.  Ottawa/Gatineau has always had a lot of great music stations.  I think the fact that they are both big government towns has a lot to do with talk's popularity. CBC/Radio Canada radio traditionally are popular in the National Capital Region, in addition to CFRA and to a lesser extent sports talk and any private French talk radio.   

January 11, 2024 10:57 am  #16

Free advice for them: Dispense with the PR flacks and political operatives. If they want on air on behalf of their clients they can pay like advertisers do.

January 11, 2024 10:21 pm  #17

I used to listen to 1010 a lot more than I do now, especially after the massive cuts Bell Media made last year. I now find myself generally tuning in only John Moore and Vassy Kapelos, with an occasional check on Jerry Agar. Otherwise, I've moved most of my attention to AM640. 

There was a time, back when CFRB called itself "The Source," and "The People People Listen To," that it was one of my main stations when I first got bored with music. Radio has changed a lot since then, but it never recovered after Bell dismantled the powerhouse line-up and its famed newsroom, which also included a pretty good sports line-up. (Notice the AM Stereo reference in that last ad.)

I miss those early days of talk when the line-up was fresh, the format was still new and you never really knew what to expect. Now, thanks to the current owners, I do. And it's pretty disappointing most days.