sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2023 11:29 am  #1

New series to tell the story of Maple Leafs legend Borje Salming

This was an interesting read.   Much of the production was in progress before Borje died last November, so he had a hand in some of it according to the article.
It's on a Sweden-based streaming platform called Viaplay.com, which is available in Canada but still quite obscure.    It will probably become available on a more mainstream platform soon but it's possible to binge watch the series once all episodes have been released because they offer a free week. 

Here is the link  to the article.   It's at the Globe & Mail and not paywall protected.   IMDB Link.

Interesting to note, if you look at Viaplay.com, they have dozens of shows of all kinds and I guess because it's Swedish, I noticed only one non-white face in the whole lot!   Only an observation but it felt out of place in today's world.   

Last edited by SpinningWheel (November 14, 2023 11:36 am)

November 28, 2023 4:37 pm  #2

Re: New series to tell the story of Maple Leafs legend Borje Salming

SpinningWheel wrote:

It will probably become available on a more mainstream platform soon.

Crave has now confimed it will be showing this series in Canada, beginning Dec. 20th, with new episodes released every Wednesday. 

Scroll down here for details. 

January 8, 2024 9:13 pm  #3

Turns out, the hockey scenes were filmed in nearby Kitchener.

Kitchener, Ont. arena subs in for Maple Leaf Gardens in new Börje Salming TV series

January 8, 2024 10:40 pm  #4

I was working in a newsroom in May 1973 when the Leafs announced they had signed both Salming and Inge Hammarstrom. The info came across the wire & we huddled trying to figure out how to pronounce "Borje" before going on the air with it. Suffice to say we didn't come close!

Those Crave radio commercials for the Borje series are brutal

The same guy who voices the line "I'm Gerry McNamara - a scout for the Toronto Maple Leafs" is the same guy who voices Salming's line about "putting the work in to get the job done".

Can you say low budget?

I met Salming once and asked him for a quick interview. He said he didn't "feel like talking" and that ended that.   Done and dusted in about 5 seconds.

RIP Mr. Salming

Last edited by unclefester (January 8, 2024 10:45 pm)