sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2024 4:37 pm  #1

Remember WTSN?

With the PWHL underway, many networks are scrambling to get the league's games on the air.  
Back in September 2001, the folks at TSN launched the Women's sports network, WTSN.  It carried some live women's sports, profiles and documentaries.  It lasted two years.  
It would have been a great fit for the new pro league to showcase the league's games.

January 2, 2024 6:40 pm  #2

Re: Remember WTSN?

#aheadofitstime

January 2, 2024 6:57 pm  #3

They should just bring it back...that is, if there is enough content to make it worth the effort. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 3, 2024 1:19 am  #4

I paid the extra $1.99 to add it to my package at the time. They had to replay a lot of events to fill the schedule so it was handy for time shifting women’s sports so I could watch actual competition instead of SportsCentre 14 hours a day.
I was told that the channel failed because men didn’t watch it because they weren’t as interested in women’s sports, and not enough women watched it because they weren’t interested in sports at all whether it involved men or women.
I wonder if it could survive today.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 3, 2024 1:21 am)

January 3, 2024 1:46 am  #5

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I paid the extra $1.99 to add it to my package at the time. They had to replay a lot of events to fill the schedule so it was handy for time shifting women’s sports so I could watch actual competition instead of SportsCentre 14 hours a day.
I was told that the channel failed because men didn’t watch it because they weren’t as interested in women’s sports, and not enough women watched it because they weren’t interested in sports at all whether it involved men or women.
I wonder if it could survive today.

Will the PWHL last more than 2-3 years? The demand is here today, but will it stick? Or is this just a fad that will wear out over time?  (ie will attendance die down)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 3, 2024 3:37 am  #6

We’ll see, but so far so good. The on ice product is good, the games are free to watch on YouTube, there’s national TV coverage, it has a single owner with deep pockets and some very impressive people are connected to it like Billie Jean King. It needs an app and team names but otherwise they seem to have done everything else that needed to be done in the 120 days between the official announcement and puck drop.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 3, 2024 3:38 am)

January 3, 2024 9:44 am  #7

On a side note, I noticed on the Rogers scheduler that WUSA, the Paul Newman flick is being shown on one of the pay movie channel's, possibly Hollywood Suite. I don't have access to the schedule at the moment , and a quick online search didn't locate it, but I will check later on my tv and update in case anyone may be interested. I know, I'm just a giver. 

January 4, 2024 10:12 am  #8

Update, WUSA is being broadcast on HS70, which on my Rogers listings in Collingwood is channel 281, at 2am and 7 pm January 12. 

January 5, 2024 9:41 am  #9

I'm a big fan of women's sports...especially soccer...good product and competitive games....but...

From a popularity, economic and player salary standpoint women's professional sports pale in comparison to men's...not to say it isn't growing and will continue to do so but to indicate it's even close to being in the same stratosphere in terms of revenue generated, ratings, popularity and advertising dollars captured by men's sports is ludicrous.

Here is a comparison between the NBA and WNBA which is currently the most popular of the female pro leagues in North America...these numbers below are from 2022...the WNBA's average attendance is now roughly 6600 per game...that's still over 10,000 less than a regular NBA game.

NBA vs WNBA

Revenue
NBA $10 billion  - WNBA $60 million

Average Salaries
NBA $9.6 million - WNBA $102,751

Ticket Price
NBA $94 USD – WNBA $47 USD

Highest-Paid Player
NBA Stephen Curry $48 million – WNBA Jewell Loyd $228,094

Average Viewership
2022 NBA Finals 12.4 million – WNBA 412,000 viewers

Average Attendance
NBA 17,184 – WNBA 5,679

Ratings

NBA 2022 NBA Finals had an 7.6 rating reaching 12.4 million
WNBA - Highest viewed game – Aces vs. Storm averaged 852,000 viewers, peaking at 1.1 million.

Source - World Sports Network (WSN)

January 5, 2024 12:05 pm  #10

No one is thinking that women’s hockey is going to be as popular as the NHL but why shouldn’t women who are the best in the world at what they do be able to earn a living while generating enough revenue for ownership to make a profit?  The London Knights in the OHL only have a 9000 seat arena and that team is rich.