sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2024 10:15 pm  #1

Ben Wagner & Rick Campanelli's Unusual Side Hustle

Ben Wagner may be out as Blue Jays' play-by-play broadcaster and Rick Campanelli is no longer with ET Canada. But both still have at least a small income thanks to their side hustle. 

What is it? They're two of hundreds of celebrities (and sometimes not quite celebrities) who will record a short personal message to a family member or a friend for a fee. The amount you pay depends entirely on the status of the star involved with at least two asking as much as $500 for the 30 secs. or so video message. (I have to admit the duo asking for that exorbitant sum are a pair I've never heard of.)

Only one celeb wants way more. Would you pay $2,500 for a short personal greeting from Caitlyn Jenner?

So what do Ben and Rick make for each one of these words to your loved one? The now ex-Jay announcer wants $30 for a personal video message. The former Rick The Temp charges $35

It's a service called Cameo and there are literally hundreds of famous people (and not-so-famous) offering their faces and voices to give a special surprise to someone. They range from athletes to TV and movie stars, comedians and musicians to online influencers. Topics run from birthday greetings to advice, a pep talk and even a roast. 

I'm not entirely sure if this odd business is worth the while of some of these people, but since you write the script for them and it's only a couple of dollars for such a short time, I suppose they can earn an extra few bucks. But what a weird thing for someone even partially well known to do. 

Still, in Wagner's case, now that he's out of work, I'm sure he can use the extra money. 

Cameo website

January 4, 2024 1:20 am  #2

Re: Ben Wagner & Rick Campanelli's Unusual Side Hustle

Just noticed this one - Peter Asher, of Peter & Gordon fame and a producer of some of the best albums of the 70s, including many from James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt. He's not cheap - each greeting costs $266. Wonder if you can get him to produce it for you, too?

January 4, 2024 2:44 am  #3

I'm guessing just anyone could easily make money doing this.
Throw on a costume and...ta da!  https://www.cameo.com/pyxe?aaQueryId=36b67de5dbe92ee1626317c19fdfc287

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 4, 2024 8:01 am  #4

I'm so disappointed. Taylor Swift is not there.

But Jack Armstrong is. Get dat gahbidge outta heah!!