sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2023 9:20 am  #1

CFRB's Morning Meltdown

It's not often you turn on a Toronto radio station and hear the host complaining about everything going wrong. But that's what happened to substitute morning man Jason Agnew Friday, just minutes after his boss, Robert Turner,  texted him to tell him how great he was sounding.

The main problem seemed to be that his mic suddenly stopped working. He played a clip of a story and then tried to do a back sell to it, only to find it suddenly didn't work. Instead he had to finagle his way over to the one and only mic that still seemed to be functioning, with his headset cord stretched awkwardly across the studio.

Because of the new arrangement, his producer can no longer hear the show and has to rely on either instinct or guesswork to make sure everything going on air is what's supposed to be there. 

All this was taking place during the Roundtable, which has three guests all talking to each other. 

To make matters worse, Agnew let it slip that "the engineers are on their way in," which I take to mean that no one is on duty at the station itself because of the holiday. So the Agnew agony will continue until they get there. 

I've related before that I used to have a nightmare that would wake me up on occasion, that I was in a control room live on air and nothing - the mics, the carts, the turntables (in those days), the phones - was working. The song ended and there was endless dead air and I couldn't do anything about it. 

It's not quite that bad but my nightmare almost happened to Agnew on Friday morning. And I have to admit I alternately had to laugh but also felt terrible for him. My dream came true - but thankfully, not for me!

[Update: He just told listeners that things are getting back to normal, but no word on what caused everything to malfunction at once. But hey, at least he was honest with his audience, so I'll give him credit for that.]

December 30, 2023 8:37 am  #2

Re: CFRB's Morning Meltdown

Only you listen to this 1% share station. 

December 30, 2023 9:02 am  #3

Felt bad for Agnew as he was doing a great job filling in on Moore in the Morning.

December 30, 2023 10:46 am  #4

My brother heard this while driving and thought the host didn't handle it so well. (Easy to say when you're not the one stressed by the event) His recollection was also that it occurred 10 minutes past 8:00.

December 30, 2023 11:16 am  #5

I’ve had something similar happen during a live show. We had the host move to the other mic during a break and then I grabbed a portable radio and plugged in headphones for the host to use as an air feed.
This wouldn’t work if you were using a delay obviously.

December 31, 2023 11:37 am  #6

Audio of the aftermath of this issue can be heard here, in Friday's "Hour 3" audio. I thought Agnew did okay under the circumstances.

Jason discusses the issue briefly off the top, then gets into it in more detail starting at time index 10:44 after the pre-recorded interview including the engineer's explanation and fix for the issue ("Power source failed; I replaced it"):

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/962-moore-in-the-morning-107770507/episode/jason-agnew-for-moore-december-29th--138979418/

Last edited by AspectRatio (December 31, 2023 11:39 am)