sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2023 12:23 am  #1

Dick Clark's N.Y. Eve Is Being Simulcast On Radio. What About Canada?

Dick Clark's "Rockin' New Year's Eve" is being simulcast this year on 150 iHeart radio stations in the U.S. It's hard to believe, but apparently that's never happened before. 

But will it also be on any Toronto station? That's the tricky part. iHeart in Canada is Bell. But Rogers and City TV have the rights to this show and have had it for a very long time. So could a CHFI or a CKIS do a simulcast? Would they even want to? This thing would be perfect for say, a CHUM-FM, but Rogers isn't likely to let Bell take it. 

Among the American outlets taking the feed: KIIS in L.A and Z100 in New York City, where Times Square will be alive and packed on Dec. 31st. 

iHeartMedia to Radio Simulcast ‘Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve’ to Ring in 2024

December 21, 2023 1:23 am  #2

Re: Dick Clark's N.Y. Eve Is Being Simulcast On Radio. What About Canada?

I know it’s cheap programming but that will be pretty boring radio. One year I estimated that not counting commercials less than 50 percent of the show was music while the country music New Year’s Eve show on CBS was roughly 90 percent music.

December 21, 2023 2:47 am  #3

How many times is Ryan going to say "Look at that!" or "As you can see..." 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 21, 2023 10:02 am  #4

Both CHUM and Virgin are doing their own New Year's Eve Shows.  These will be far better only because they will be playing a lot more music.  Virgin Radio's show is commercial free from 8pm on and called the New Year's Eve Hit Mix hosted by Dames Nellas and DJ Starting From Scratch.

CHUM has morning man Jamar with his House Party which starts at 10pm and goes until 1am. Sounds like this one is commercial free too.  They are billing the program as Non Stop Party Anthems. 

December 21, 2023 10:42 am  #5

I believe iHeart's arrangement in Canada is strictly a licensing deal with Bell Media, where the latter has access to their brand and content. From what I understand, iHeart doesn't actually own any radio stations in Canada, so none of the stations with their branding are required to carry their content. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

December 21, 2023 11:30 am  #6

KISS in Toronto is doing their own New Year's programming too.  Kind of sad when you think that some of the biggest CHR/top 40 stations in the US are just running the audio from a TV show.  Granted Dick Clark's show does have some great live talent but as pointed out less than half the show is actually music, with mostly talk and commercials.  

I still don't get the relationship with Bell radio stations and iHeart.  Don't see what Bell gets out of this other than the name and a few syndicated weekend shows.  Bell could likely save some money and drop the iHeart branding which I fail to see is doing anything for them.  A branding that doesn't mean much to people.  

December 21, 2023 11:38 am  #7

I think the point is you're supposed to turn the audio on through a stereo while watching it on TV. At least that's what those simulcasts used to be for, as the ad below from 1983 shows.

But with pretty good sound on most televisions these days, I'm not sure that's exactly needed anymore. But hey, it means 150 radio stations in the U.S. won't have to worry about what to program at a normally dead time in radio. So there's that. 

December 21, 2023 11:40 am  #8

paterson1 wrote:

I still don't get the relationship with Bell radio stations and iHeart.  Don't see what Bell gets out of this other than the name and a few syndicated weekend shows.  Bell could likely save some money and drop the iHeart branding which I fail to see is doing anything for them.  A branding that doesn't mean much to people.  

That's a complicated one to answer.
Those few shows might be a big part of it if it's the only way to get them, and if they're doing well for Bell. 

December 21, 2023 11:52 am  #9

It’s on the radio because they can sell it. That’s all.

December 21, 2023 12:01 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

I don't know what kind of value they might assign to this, but Bell also gets to have its stations and other programming (such as The Roger Ashby Oldies Show) on the iHeart app.

December 21, 2023 12:29 pm  #11

Lorne wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I don't know what kind of value they might assign to this, but Bell also gets to have its stations and other programming (such as The Roger Ashby Oldies Show) on the iHeart app.

The app itself is the biggest asset. 

December 21, 2023 2:20 pm  #12

Yup. An established brand and an excellent app.

December 22, 2023 12:30 am  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

That's well said, but how well is it sold vs other options? 
Spend $5 to make $6 or Spend $5000 to make $6000...and so on. 

December 22, 2023 8:38 am  #14

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

It costs nothing and is on at a day/time that would otherwise be a dead-zone.

December 22, 2023 12:42 pm  #15

CBC TV will have Canada's New Year's Eve Countdown from Blue Mountain near Collingwood with host Rick Mercer starting at 11pm New Years Eve .

Live performances will be from Halifax, Quebec City, Saskatoon, Yellowknife and Blue Mountain.
https://www.cbc.ca/life/how-to-watch-canada-s-new-year-s-eve-countdown-to-2023-1.6695012

Any on the site who speak or understand French may want to tune in Bye Bye 2023 on Radio Canada which will have more viewers than all of the other New Year's Eve Shows combined.  This satirical look back at the year usually attracts about 4.5 million viewers.   Another comedy show, Infoman also has huge ratings which runs prior to Bye Bye.

New Year's Eve is like the Super Bowl for Radio Canada, and brings in a lot of advertising.  

December 22, 2023 2:18 pm  #16

Now there's a perfect example of how the demise of the local newspaper effects the local community. I live in Collingwood and had no idea this event was taking place, 20 minutes from my front door. Not that I would want to be in the midst of the crowd that will be in attendance, but it would have been nice to at least be aware in advance this was happening literally in my back yard. Thanks for posting it paterson1. Also seems ironic the James Barker Band, who hail from Barrie, will be broadcast from Saskatoon. Ah, the life of a hot band. 

December 22, 2023 2:33 pm  #17

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

So then, why is Kiss 92 not doing that here?

December 22, 2023 3:11 pm  #18

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Scale.

And they probably don't want a CHUM voice on-air.

December 22, 2023 7:44 pm  #19

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Scale.

And they probably don't want a CHUM voice on-air.

I should have corrected myself to say all Kiss stations, but your response makes good enough sense.
(for both reasons)