sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2017 11:19 pm  #1

RIP Alan Colmes

I’m not sure how many people here know the name Alan Colmes. He became most famous for his appearances as the “token liberal” on Hannity and Colmes, which was a staple for years on Fox News.

But Colmes, who died Thursday of lymphoma, was a great broadcaster who did more than just that. I first heard him a long time ago when he was doing one of the greatest overnight radio shows I’ve ever heard on WABC in New York.

He would and regularly did very bizarre things on that show, including asking people who had just come home late from a date to call in and tell him how it went. He would then call the other party who’d been out with the caller to get their reaction. It was always hilarious, especially when the datee and the dater didn’t hit it off.

Then there was "Colmes-ini The Great" in which he would make ridiculous phony psychic predictions about the fate or character of callers who wanted their "futures forecasted."  

He was so good he eventually wound up doing mornings on the station, long before Imus, where he would call himself "W. Alan B. Colmes," so that his initials were always "WABC." He also did some work in the final years of WNBC radio, as well.

But wherever he was, he almost always made me laugh. And I was sorry to hear of his passing so young, at the same frequency as the now equally late WNBC - 66.

Alan Colmes, co-host of ‘Hannity & Colmes’ dies at 66