sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2023 9:18 pm  #1

CFPL-TV 70th anniversary

CTV London, aka CFPL-TV turned 70 years old on November 28th, and they’ve been doing a fairly extensive look back:

https://london.ctvnews.ca/70years-CFPLTV

The segments are hosted by Nick Paparella, who has been a reporter there since 1982.

Bill Brady, who is a veteran of both CFPL and CKSL Radio, was a guest on one of the segments; he’s 91 years old and still going strong.

December 8, 2023 10:37 pm  #2

Re: CFPL-TV 70th anniversary

Thanks for posting this MJ.  I watched all of the clips.  Hard to believe in the early 80's CFPL TV was debt free, had a full staff, new equipment, expanded building and strong ratings.  By the end of the decade they had disaffiliated with CBC, losing money and the layoffs/cutbacks were in full swing.

I hope they do a feature on some of the local shows CFPL  produced over the past 70 years.     

December 10, 2023 7:32 pm  #3

Loved seeing Tara Overholt, Kelda Yuen, Jaden Lee Lincoln, Camile Ross and Sacha Long.

December 10, 2023 8:19 pm  #4

I think they mentioned that retired weatherman Jay Campbell is coming by tomorrow/Monday with some memories about weather forecasting at CFPL. 

December 10, 2023 11:19 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

I think they mentioned that retired weatherman Jay Campbell is coming by tomorrow/Monday with some memories about weather forecasting at CFPL. 

Looking forward to that. He was very active with Scouts Canada for many years as a troop leader. I actually met him, not in London but in Prince Edward Island during a national Scout Jamboree we were both attending in 2001. He’s as positive and pleasant of a person in person as he was on TV - always had a lot of respect for him.

December 11, 2023 11:15 am  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Long long ago Jay and I belonged to the same gym.

I"d see him there pumping iron

Well not exactly "pumping" iron but you know what I mean

We chatted

Good guy!  

December 12, 2023 12:38 am  #7

The link has been updated with today's CFPL-TV 70th Anniversary segment which is all about the weather. 

Many of the stations forecasters from over the past decades are featured.  Didn't know that CFPL also utilized a plexiglass map similar to CFTO's Dave Devall.  Wonder if their weather folks wrote backwards as good as Dave.

Tomorrow it is all about CFPL-TV sports....https://london.ctvnews.ca/70years-CFPLTV

December 12, 2023 4:39 pm  #8

Yep I was right. It seems that he wanted to get out of the news business. At least he was mentioned during this segment.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (December 12, 2023 10:15 pm)

December 19, 2023 7:57 pm  #9

CFPL TV's 70th Anniversary Special will be featured on Monday December 26th for part one and on January 1st for part two.  Both are one hour and at 6pm.  This evening covered some of CFPL's local programming over the past 7 decades with more coming up tomorrow.