sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2017 12:54 pm  #1

Canada’s Smallest Market TV Station Has Licence Officially Revoked

I was interested to see that on Wednesday, the CRTC officially revoked the licence of a TV station most of us have never heard of. But there was something unusual about CJBN in Kenora, Ontario - it was the smallest market in Canada to ever have its own television outlet, it only put out a signal of 178 watts, making it the lowest powered officially licenced TV station in all of North America – and because of its size, it was one of the few left that never converted to digital, remaining in an analog mode until it went off the air at the end of January.

Channel 13 was a longtime Shaw outlet, using Global programming to fill its time and never had a real news team or even that many staffers (although it did air a two minute update every day, a bizarre sample of which you can see below.) According to an article from last December in the Kenora Daily Miner And News, (obviously a must read newspaper!) it only employed five people and only produced two shows, one of which was called “Fishing With Gussy.”

Poor Gussy. I’m guessing he (or she?) is now casting a net for a new gig.

Anyway, just a small footnote and a curious anomaly to the big changes that have surrounded its bigger brethren in the broadcasting industry.

Last edited by RadioActive (February 22, 2017 12:59 pm)

February 23, 2017 12:15 am  #2

Re: Canada’s Smallest Market TV Station Has Licence Officially Revoked

I took your advice and read the article in Kenora's must-read newspaper, and it states that "The station’s two originally produced programs will air on Shaw TV moving forward”. But you still had me concerned about Gussy, so I did a search and found the following ... it looks like his program will indeed live to fish another day (and according to a recent posting, almost every day).
https://www.facebook.com/fishingwithgussy/

February 23, 2017 10:30 pm  #3

Re: Canada’s Smallest Market TV Station Has Licence Officially Revoked

With the demise of Rogers 10 Toronto local production, maybe hers will be one of the shows they pick up to pad time?

[Via CARTT]Rogers Media today told employees it will cease community cable TV production at its Toronto facility at 855 York Mills Road.A total of 10 positions have been eliminated with the move and all programming produced there has been cancelled.“While production from our York Mills facilities has stopped, we will continue to meet our CRTC commitments for local and access programming,” Rogers spokeswoman Michelle Lomack told Cartt.ca in an email late Thursday. “Toronto-focused content produced by local independent community producers such as our Mosaic line up, Hogtown Wrestling, Xs Network, Ryerson Rams Sports, and many more will continue to air on RTV Toronto, in addition to productions from our studios in Mississauga and Richmond Hill. Programming will also include ongoing coverage of Toronto City Council.”

More...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.