sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2023 10:18 pm  #1

How The Weather Network Fought A Russian Cyberattack

Ever wonder what happens when a broadcaster's systems get hacked by those seeking a ransom? It happened to The Weather Network and its CEO decided not to pay the price, but recalls how difficult it was to get everything back up and running.

Luckily, Pelmorex, the network that's also responsible for the "Emergency Alert Ready" blasts on TV, radio and cellphones in this country, had that on a separate system, so it wasn't affected. 

But how to get the weather back where it belonged? In the linked article, he talks about how tough it all was and how grateful he is not to have had to give in to the forces of evil.

How The Weather Network’s parent company fought a Russian cyberattack

December 10, 2023 10:28 am  #2

Re: How The Weather Network Fought A Russian Cyberattack

The Weather Network never returned to it's original format in my area, they no longer provide local coverage , and is now a waste of time to get any information. 

December 10, 2023 12:10 pm  #3

mic'em wrote:

The Weather Network never returned to it's original format in my area, they no longer provide local coverage , and is now a waste of time to get any information. 

Indeed. Since the hack, the radar map on the HD channel has been missing on the 10s. It was the most useful future especially for those of us who don't live in major centres.

Last edited by andysradio (December 11, 2023 1:15 pm)

December 10, 2023 1:33 pm  #4

Can't understand why individuals and especially corporations, don't have a backup plan.
I use Macrium Reflect.
I image my computers nightly, keeping 5 nights rolling. Also before any update/upgrade/install/uninstall. And it makes it vey easy to change drives.
Macrium has Image Guardian, which locks the image so Ransomware can't affect it. Get hacked, just restore the last image. You only lose whatever you've done since you made the last image.
Windows only.
On Mac, Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, but I don't know if they have protection for their images.
For individuals with programs without protection, the best option is to image to a portable drive, then disconnect the drive, because, if it's not  connected, it can't be infected.
For corporations, air gap.