sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2017 12:26 pm  #1

Toronto Radio Station Advertises For New Morning Show Host – On Air

I sometimes do a quick check around the dial just to see what everyone’s up to. And what I heard today really surprised me – a Toronto FM outlet with a spot announcing they were looking for, well, an announcer to fill a morning show slot. But this wasn’t your average “play the hits” type place. It was CHIN Radio.

The ad went something like this, voiced by a guy with a touch of an Italian accent, although the entire thing was in English.

“A Toronto radio station is seeking a new morning personality. Must be able to speak both English and Italian fluently and have five years experience in radio and TV. If interested apply to chinradio.jobs@gmail.com.”

Now three things stand out for me here. I’ve never heard of a radio station actually advertise an opening on their own airwaves, especially for something as important as a morning position. (The closest thing I can recall is a famous CHUM Chart from 1963, with a contest on the front and back saying, “CHUM is looking for a new announcer.” In that case, it was strictly a promotion to ramp up interest, since they’d already hired Jay Nelson.) Most places use a Milkman site or whatever is taking Broadcaster Magazine’s place to trumpet an opening. But I guess at least this doesn’t cost them anything.  

Second, why would you advertise this on a station that airs over a hundred different languages a week? If there’s say, the Lithuanian Hour on, chances are if I speak either Italian or English, I won’t be listening. So who exactly are you trying to reach with this spot?  

The final thing that stood out to me is the email address. Are you telling me an entity like CHIN that’s been around since 1966 doesn’t have its own domain address by now and is forced to use gmail to solicit resumes? That’s just strange – and frankly, a little bit sad.

February 23, 2017 12:33 am  #2

Re: Toronto Radio Station Advertises For New Morning Show Host – On Air

I've actually heard several stations, from time to time, advertise openings on air.  Though never on-air positions.  Sales more often than not.  Usually at smaller stations.

The closest to an ad for an on-air position was CKRA-FM in Edmonton in the 1980s when the Morning Man was enticed to move to the competition.  Listeners were asked to vote for his replacement, among the existing air staff.

February 23, 2017 12:43 am  #3

In March 1973, WKBW had an on-air competition to see who would replace Jack Armstrong in the 6-10 p.m. slot. A number of personalities competed for the position, including The Greaseman, then at WAXC Rochester. The shift went to "The Janitor" (Warren Miller). He didn't last long and was replaced by another of the contestants, Shane (Ron Gibson).

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 23, 2017 2:32 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

The final thing that stood out to me is the email address. Are you telling me an entity like CHIN that’s been around since 1966 doesn’t have its own domain address by now and is forced to use gmail to solicit resumes? That’s just strange – and frankly, a little bit sad.

According to their website, they do have info@chinradio.com at least: http://www.chinradio.com/contact 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 23, 2017 11:56 am  #5

Dale Patterson wrote:

In March 1973, WKBW had an on-air competition to see who would replace Jack Armstrong in the 6-10 p.m. slot. A number of personalities competed for the position, including The Greaseman, then at WAXC Rochester. The shift went to "The Janitor" (Warren Miller). He didn't last long and was replaced by another of the contestants, Shane (Ron Gibson).

Here's a list of the announcers who competed for Armstrong's time slot (Big Jack had gone to 13 Q Pittsburgh):

Monday, March 5 - Dick Kemp

Tuesday, March 6 - Andrew Jackson (Big Ange, WPRO, Providence, R.I.)

Wednesday, March 7 - Judd Coursey

Thursday, March 8 - Shane (WLEE, Richmond, Va.)

Friday, March 9 - Greaseman (WAXC Rochester, N.Y.)

Monday, March 12 - Mike St. James (WFTL, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)

Tuesday, March 13 - Bruce Clark (WKAZ, Charleston, W. Va.)

Wednesday, March 14 - The Janitor (WLOF, Orlando, Fla.)

Thursday, March 15 - Jim Carter (WBAB, Babylon, N.Y.)

Friday, March 16 - Super Shannon

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 23, 2017 11:57 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram