sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2023 3:05 pm  #1

Wings and Moody Blues guitarist Denny Laine dead at 79

In addition to being part of Paul McCartney's post-Beatles band Wings, he founded The Moody Blues and was with the band from 1964-66. He sang on their early hit, "Go Now!"

https://www.loudersound.com/news/denny-laine-dead-at-79

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

December 5, 2023 5:52 pm  #2

Re: Wings and Moody Blues guitarist Denny Laine dead at 79

Man, I was just thinking of the Moody Blues a few days ago. Sad news. 

December 5, 2023 6:05 pm  #3

Very sad he had to Go Now. 

December 5, 2023 6:32 pm  #4

Denny was one of the good guys. I hung out with him for a couple of days in New York in the '90s, when he was playing with my friend Spencer Davis.

Very sad day.

December 5, 2023 7:59 pm  #5

Not everyone can claim to have had Linda and Paul McCartney as backup vocalists.

December 5, 2023 8:57 pm  #6

I follow legendary Producer / Musician Tony Visconti on Facebook and for someone of his fame and accomplishments, he comes across as a genuinely nice down-to-earth guy.   

This is what he had to say about Denny Laine:

"The great Denny Laine, first lead singer in the Moody Blues, passed at 79 years old.  When I moved to London in April 1967 from New York, I was introduced to him by my mentor Denny Cordell.  Denny and I became fast friends immediately after.  He started up a new band called The Electric String Band and asked me to write some arrangements for him.  One of the songs was “Say You Don’t Mind” and I transcribed it from his recording.  He  played a short set in the Savile Theatre and I conducted the string quartet on stage.  Jimi Hendrix was also on the bill.  I was in London two weeks and hit the big time immediately.  I was told the Beatles were in the audience.  A few years later I was working with Denny, Paul and Linda McCartney on the album Band On The Run.  Over the years we came in contact again but never worked together after BOTR.  
Denny was a peaceful, soft spoken man. He had a beautiful smile.  I’m sad I didn’t see him in recent years.  I forgot we were the same age.  My dear friend, rest in peace."