sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2023 8:10 am  #1

Virgin 99.9 Introduces New Morning Co-Host

John Moore announced on Monday that members of the Virgin 99.9 on air staff were coming in to the CFRB studios just after 9:30 AM to announce some major "changes" coming to the station. If on-air staff are involved, that likely means no one's getting fired, so what else could it be? A change of musical direction? A Christmas PR stunt?

Stay tuned...

December 4, 2023 10:42 am  #2

Re: Virgin 99.9 Introduces New Morning Co-Host

As I suspected, the announcement was a bit underwhelming. It was the news that Daryn Jones has taken over the morning show, co-hosting with the continuing Deepa Prashad. The pair has worked together before. 

On CFRB Monday, Jones related how he was hired for the gig, but was forced to "wait out contractual obligations." I'm guessing those were at Kiss 92.5, where he previously worked evenings. Not surprisingly, his time at 92.5 isn't mentioned in the announcement at the link below. 

Daryn & Deepa

December 4, 2023 10:47 am  #3

I didn't think there would be a format change. They are Toronto's only hit music station.
Good to take advantage of being a monopoly.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 4, 2023 10:52 am  #4

I would agree. You wouldn't announce a format change on CFRB. It would happen with great fanfare on the station itself. Monday was Jones' first day. I'm actually kind of surprised the duo wound up on 1010, the audiences couldn't really be more different. But free publicity is good publicity, I suppose. And it cost them nothing. 

99.9 is where CFRB's HD signal is located. Not a single word about that during the interview, though. 

December 4, 2023 11:07 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

99.9 is where CFRB's HD signal is located. Not a single word about that during the interview, though. 

Well, if anyone could just go to Best Buy Canada and buy an HD radio, that would be nice.
the American Best Buy sells them now...   https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=hd+radio

December 4, 2023 11:37 am  #6

Sangean HD radios are available on Amazon.  Where I got mine a few years ago,

December 4, 2023 11:48 am  #7

Here's one available locally at Radio World on Steeles near Keele. It's a Sangean and I've had good luck with their radios in the past, although I've never purchased this one. 20 AM and 20 FM presets for 120 bucks. 

Sangean Portable HD Radio

December 4, 2023 1:01 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Here's one available locally at Radio World on Steeles near Keele. It's a Sangean and I've had good luck with their radios in the past, although I've never purchased this one. 20 AM and 20 FM presets for 120 bucks.

Too far. Out of reach.  Not any help.
Get those radios into a Best buy ASAP!!!

It actually amazes me that there are none @ Bay Bloor Radio. 
Regardless, people shouldn't have to go to a single stand alone store to get one. The HD radio should be easy to buy @ a Best Buy or Source store or any similar store that has multiple locations, easy to get to.

December 4, 2023 1:44 pm  #9

You'd be lucky to find an analog stand-alone radio at BestBuy, never mind HD.

Bay Bloor does have some desktops with great streaming integration, which negated the need for HD, which itself is streaming audio.

December 4, 2023 5:51 pm  #10