sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2023 8:24 am  #1

Corus Cancels Its Live Cross-Canada All Night Show "The Shift"

It was called The Shift and the shift appears to be over. Shane Hewitt, who hosted one of the few live all night shows in Canadian radio, has been let go, informing listeners on social media that his show has been cancelled as of Wednesday.

What will replace this program on the Corus talk stations? The same thing as competitor Bell - endless rerolls of "previously enjoyed shows."

Hewitt addressed the news on his Facebook page, noting he wasn't expecting it, but thanking those he worked with - and those who listened. 

“For the next few days you’re going to hear some of our ‘best ofs’ on the air and next week there will be a new series of re-runs and playdowns, I’m told, that will take this time slot. There will not be a replacement host. There is no show to back this up as far as I’ve been told,” said Hewitt. “The Shift comes to a close. I’m sad by this news.”

Sounds like he want from The Shift to the shaft. 

Corus cancels late night network talk show ‘The Shift with Shane Hewitt’

November 30, 2023 10:29 pm  #2

Re: Corus Cancels Its Live Cross-Canada All Night Show "The Shift"

Could it be related to the cuts at Corus like what happened to The Bill Kelly Show from 900 CHML in Hamilton?

December 1, 2023 1:50 am  #3

It wasn’t relevant. The couple of times I tuned in when news was breaking overnight there was no mention of it so I went back to 680 and the BBC. It didn’t need to be live. It was just interviews that could have been recorded during the day.

December 1, 2023 8:29 am  #4

I've never heard of this show. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 2, 2023 9:42 pm  #5

As one who is often up at night and listens to overnight radio I was very upset to hear that The Shift has been cancelled. It was an excellent show - intelligent, interesting and often fun. For me it was also nice to be listening to a radio program that wasn't news heavy. There's enough of that during the day. Also it was the only live overnight program that I could find that wasn't another one of the many right-wing spewing cesspools that currently litter the airwaves throughout the night. I will sincerely miss Shane and the gang.

Last edited by alangee (December 2, 2023 10:03 pm)