sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2023 2:10 pm  #1

Ben Wagner out as Blue Jays' radio voice

Sportsnet announcing this afternoon that Wagner's contract for next season will not be renewed.

https://x.com/SportsnetPR/status/1729924964327817556?s=20

Last edited by eladb (November 29, 2023 2:10 pm)

November 29, 2023 2:53 pm  #2

Re: Ben Wagner out as Blue Jays' radio voice

That Twitter link does not seem to be working for me - but if this is true, Wagner won't be working this season, either! I'm frankly surprised. It's not like they have a lot of replacements warming up in the bullpen. Unless Ben Shulman is the choice, maybe a part of a deal with his dad on the TV side?

Otherwise, I'd have a hard time coming up with a name that could replace him. 

Fortunately for SN, Wagner was not as well established or there as long as Cheek or Howarth, so replacing him might not be as painful as their departures were. I still miss Jerry's calls but as a fellow prostate cancer survivor, I understand why his health and family had to come first. 

November 29, 2023 2:54 pm  #3

I agree he'd be hard to replace, so I suspect they're not going to.

November 29, 2023 3:02 pm  #4

Anyone but Ben Schulman, over the top with talk.  Not enough play-by-play.

November 29, 2023 3:21 pm  #5

This is the announcement that appears in the Twitter link I shared. I'm pretty sure that "next season" implies the upcoming 2024 season.

November 29, 2023 4:48 pm  #6

Is Ben Shulman the replacement? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 29, 2023 4:51 pm  #7

Not publicly known. I was only guessing about Shulman because he filled in when Wagner was off during a few weeks in the summer. 

November 29, 2023 4:53 pm  #8

I've got $5 on no more radio-only broadcast.

November 29, 2023 4:54 pm  #9

Seems we won't know for a while yet. This is on their Twitter/X feed:

November 29, 2023 4:57 pm  #10

RadioAaron wrote:

That seems to be the speculation on Twitter. And so far, the fans don't seem happy. 

November 29, 2023 5:05 pm  #11

Not much more info from the Toronto Star, but for what it's worth.

Sportsnet parts ways with Blue Jays radio voice Ben Wagner after six seasons 

November 29, 2023 5:41 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

... or a simucast of the television audio.

Rogers ruins everything.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 29, 2023 6:06 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

That seems to be the speculation on Twitter. And so far, the fans don't seem happy. 

Which isn't shocking. If anything can get almost everyone on this board to agree, it's that that makes for an inferior broadcast. The question is: does it matter?

November 29, 2023 7:21 pm  #14

Rogers just confirms they have no idea how to run a baseball team and demonstrate a lack of concern for the fans.  Just hire two guys from Cleveland, who did nothing there, to run their moneymaker.  Ben Schulman, like father like son, too much talk, not much play-by-play.  Imagine listening to a radio broadcast of the TV feed and hearing, "Did you see that fan in the stands?"  

November 29, 2023 7:33 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Not publicly known. I was only guessing about Shulman because he filled in when Wagner was off during a few weeks in the summer. 

Yahoo sports seems to agree:
"It's unclear at this point who will replace Wagner in the booth for the Blue Jays, or if radio-specific broadcasts will continue at all. One candidate, it would appear, is Ben Shulman, son of Blue Jays television voice Dan Shulman. The younger Shulman began calling games part-time for Sportsnet in 2022 and has served as a pinch-hitter of sorts when Wagner was unavailable."

Source, Yahoo Sports: (last paragraph)  
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/sportsnets-ben-wagner-out-as-voice-of-blue-jays-radio-broadcasts-192540349.html

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 29, 2023 7:35 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 29, 2023 7:54 pm  #16

Jerry Howarth calls the Rogers move "embarrassing."

“First of all, over his six seasons the network never did give Ben a former player to work with full-time on the radio,” Howarth told the Toronto Sun via email. “That would have not only established a good chemistry between them but would also inform the audience with keen insights as to what was happening down on the field and why from that player’s perspective.

“That is so vital and essential to the broadcast for the audience each and every day.”

Legendary Blue Jays broadcaster Jerry Howarth rips Rogers for Ben Wagner’s dismissal

November 30, 2023 2:13 am  #17

eladb wrote:

This is the announcement that appears in the Twitter link I shared. I'm pretty sure that "next season" implies the upcoming 2024 season.

Of course it does.
Not sure what the poster above was talking about.

November 30, 2023 2:15 am  #18

laffin wrote:

Rogers just confirms they have no idea how to run a baseball team and demonstrate a lack of concern for the fans.  Just hire two guys from Cleveland, who did nothing there, to run their moneymaker.  Ben Schulman, like father like son, too much talk, not much play-by-play.  Imagine listening to a radio broadcast of the TV feed and hearing, "Did you see that fan in the stands?"  

We don’t have to imagine it. They already did it for a time. It was useless.

November 30, 2023 6:54 am  #19

Good riddance....One of the most over-the-top worst announcers I ever heard...Many times he mispronounced Canadian towns/people/streets, etc. Canada's team has never had a Canadian voice on the radio....I hope we get one! 

November 30, 2023 7:21 am  #20

Jerry Howarth became a Canadian citizen in 1994. 

November 30, 2023 11:53 am  #21

Mike Wilner, now a baseball columnist for the Toronto Star, knows a thing or two about being let go from a dream job by Rogers. It happened to him several seasons ago. On Twitter/X, he made no secret of his feelings about what happened to his former colleague:

Added Toronto Sun sports writer Rob Longley:

And finally, there's this from Robert Ford. Who's Robert Ford? The radio voice of the Houston Astros.