sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2023 8:32 pm  #31

Re: 88.5 Flips to Country

This is the second time CKDX has tried the County format.  They became 88.5 The Kat in July of '99. They dropped the all dance format back then for country and I haven't listened to them since.  (This was shortly before they became an interest of Evanov).

November 20, 2023 11:30 pm  #32

Dave The OTA guy wrote:

This is the second time CKDX has tried the County format. They became 88.5 The Kat in July of '99. They dropped the all dance format back then for country and I haven't listened to them since. (This was shortly before they became an interest of Evanov).

As I've already mentioned in this thread, They did not last long as a Country station back in 1999. It became a short lived Dancin' Oldies station. Foxy 88five. 
Foxy switched to a standards format, leading into Jewel FM, which eventually steered away from standards into just a basic oldies station of some sort. 

Here's a keychain from their short lived "Music with class" days:

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 22, 2023 11:58 am  #33

I'm kind of surprised they didn't go All Christmas ahead of the format change. Wouldn't it be easier to switch to country once the holiday season ends? Instead, they ended Gary Gamble's 26-year tenure as morning man then made the sudden swap to boots and saddles at 9 AM on a Friday, which is kind of unusual.

Plus, they presumably blew off all their former listeners who may not be interested in Today's Country. Will the word spread or is another format switch coming a few years down the line? If you look at all the ones they've tried over the years (Oldies/easy listening in 1994, dance in 1997, Country in 1999, Rhythmic oldies in 2000, Dance music by 2001, Adult standards in 2002, AC in 2009, and then to the former Lite as of 2021) it's certainly possible this is just another stop along the road. 

November 22, 2023 12:24 pm  #34

RadioActive wrote:

If you look at all the ones they've tried over the years (Oldies/easy listening in 1994, dance in 1997, Country in 1999, Rhythmic oldies in 2000, Dance music by 2001, Adult standards in 2002, AC in 2009, and then to the former Lite as of 2021) it's certainly possible this is just another stop along the road. 

Phoenix 88five sounded almost identical to CHUM FM.  (their first FM format @ 88five)  
XFM was short lived as an "alternative" station"  Power 88five was a funny one. Power 92 signed on, Evanov sued Rogers and WON, only to have Kiss 92 sign on and Power to become a Country station...then Country went Dancin' Oldies as Foxy 88five a very short time later, Standards as Foxy, "radio with class" Then Jewel...then lite.
Now Country once again.

As I scratch my head wondering who had the most format changes? 88.5? Or Buffalo's 92.9 FM...

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 22, 2023 2:05 pm)

November 27, 2023 9:39 pm  #35

I just noticed this. I used to like the Jewel Lite. I hate New Country. 

November 27, 2023 10:44 pm  #36

cash wrote:

If only you'd listened more than once a week.

November 27, 2023 11:04 pm  #37

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

I used to listen to the lounge every evening. 

November 28, 2023 10:48 am  #38

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

They unfortunately got rid of that evening program close to a year ago.

November 28, 2023 10:57 am  #39

km93 wrote:

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

They unfortunately got rid of that evening program close to a year ago.

Well. I did listen but not anymore. 

November 30, 2023 2:37 pm  #40

So, is the Brantford station flipped to cowboy too?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 30, 2023 3:31 pm  #41

CFWC-FM Brantford  "flipped"  September 2020

December 1, 2023 8:48 am  #42

Bristol wrote:

CFWC-FM Brantford  "flipped"  September 2020

It amazes me that Lite 92 hasn't gone all Christmas by now. 
I also wonder if there will be any changes regardless, to target a younger audience.
Some of the music they play clearly targets the older demo while some of it might be okay for the younger end of the audience they grab...