sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2017 4:58 pm  #1

TVO dropping over-the-air transmission outside Toronto

If you're on an antenna and in range, you'll be fine. But live in London, Ottawa, Windsor or elsewhere without cable or satellite and you're SOL for TVO starting at the end of July. 

TVO dropping over-the-air transmission outside Toronto

February 2, 2017 5:16 pm  #2

Re: TVO dropping over-the-air transmission outside Toronto

They're two they're four they're six & eight
Thomas he's the cheeky one
James is vain but lots of fun
Percy pulls the mail on time
Gordon thunders down the line
Emily really knows her stuff
Henry toots & huffs & puffs
Edward wants to help & share
Toby, well let's say he's square
Shunting trucks & hauling freight
Thomas & his friends

Last edited by Kilgore (February 2, 2017 5:17 pm)

February 17, 2017 4:29 pm  #3

Well that didn't last long.  CRTC received 84 opposing interventions in 48 hours....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tvo-over-the-air-transmission-reverse-decision-1.3988059

February 17, 2017 5:27 pm  #4

splunge wrote:

Well that didn't last long.  CRTC received 84 opposing interventions in 48 hours....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tvo-over-the-air-transmission-reverse-decision-1.3988059

Liberal backing:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tvo-john-fraser-letter-1.3986092

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 17, 2017 5:29 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 17, 2017 5:36 pm  #5

if those intervenors could be sworn to secrecy each could be provided with a sat. dish at a annual cost of 84 X $50/mo. X 12 = $50,000 which is a fraction of the OTA cost, but that won't happen  

Last edited by Kilgore (February 17, 2017 5:54 pm)

February 17, 2017 7:02 pm  #6

TVO...  For the 4 or 5 times I watch them...and even then still sometimes reluctantly...I could care less if they stopped broadcasting/telecasting in any form whatsoever.  Now THAT one is a decided and utter waste of my money.  [for at least 23 hours and 50-some-odd minutes a day.]

A test pattern is almost as entertaining...and information needs to be entertaining too.  Or?  It'll fail.  I suppose that's sort of acceptable.  [Just not when ****I**** HAVE to pay for it. ]

February 17, 2017 7:11 pm  #7

I said this when CBC deleted transmitters in major centres like London.

Why can't they partner with TVO and share the cost of running a OTA TX?   These digital transmitters are able to transit 2 HD signals and additional SD signals from one transmitter.

To me, this should be a no brainer..  Even Omni 1 and Omni 2 I never understood why Rogers didn't apply to merge these onto the same transmitter.

I would argue that they could cut cost by 50%, serve communities who don't currently get service, and operate in a fashion that is efficient. 

I look at the US where OTA is growing 10 fold especially with subchannels, yet in Canada they can't figure out how to keep a local station's lights on?   It seems to me there is a systemic issue here that needs to be looked at, be it too few owners, a CRTC that gives in to easy to whines from broadcasters, a market that is too closed off for 2017, or simply poor programming decisions.

February 17, 2017 11:16 pm  #8

Actually Old Codger, it may not be to your taste, but there are lot of great documentaries, serials and apparently the kids programming is stellar.  And I love The Agenda.  A lot of this stuff would not be available anywhere else.  (so I'm glad your voice isn't influencing sway towards what TVO does or doesn't do - whew!)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 18, 2017 9:36 am  #9

Presto Change O ...  another Liberal magic trick, er, Learning Opportunity... or was this a well planned out, calculated play on the part of TVO CEO Lisa de Wilde?

February 18, 2017 10:45 am  #10

I did give them credit for the 4 or 5 things they run each year which I find to be of value Jody.  It's just the remaining [360-361] days.  Not sure about Steve's little shindig each evening.  The agenda strikes me as being too inconsistent. *** He can't turn everything which lies atop the earth's surface into gold bars.  And he doesn't.

No...when it comes to TVO I not only vote "NO!!!" ... ... ...I want my money back.

------------------------------------------

***  Not that it's HIS fault.  It's just that the 'material' ain't always all 'that'.

Last edited by Old Codger (February 18, 2017 1:05 pm)

February 18, 2017 1:53 pm  #11

I think the subject line should be updated, since the 8 towers will now remain unaffected.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.