sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2023 7:51 pm  #1

Is City680 running very low power overnight?

I've noticed the past week or so that during the middle of the night I can barely hear 680, I live in east Mississauga, down by the lake and after 1:00 in the morning it is barely audible. However this morning at 5:00am, bingo, strong as always.

My question is, does anyone know if 680 is running extremely low power overnight for some reason or is it changing its antenna pattern?

November 16, 2023 11:36 pm  #2

Re: Is City680 running very low power overnight?

In the past I've noted a low signal strength from 680 on a few occasions during overnights.  One late night a few weeks ago, I tuned in and it was just dead air.  I can only assume they might be doing work on their antenna array or are maybe running a lower powered auxiliary transmitter while they work on the main unit.  Another possibility could be that there is construction taking place very close by to their Tx site and they have been asked to reduce power for safety reasons.  Large metal objects like cranes and metal framing can have hazardous voltages induced into them by the high RF levels if not grounded out properly.  This high RF level can also interfere with the operation of some site control equipment, from what I understand.

November 16, 2023 11:51 pm  #3

Evuguy wrote:

In the past I've noted a low signal strength from 680 on a few occasions during overnights.  One late night a few weeks ago, I tuned in and it was just dead air.  I can only assume they might be doing work on their antenna array or are maybe running a lower powered auxiliary transmitter while they work on the main unit.  Another possibility could be that there is construction taking place very close by to their Tx site and they have been asked to reduce power for safety reasons.  Large metal objects like cranes and metal framing can have hazardous voltages induced into them by the high RF levels if not grounded out properly.  This high RF level can also interfere with the operation of some site control equipment, from what I understand.

I have a Sangean portable I use as my travel radio. The radios in hotel rooms are always garbage. Once, I cheched into one of the hotels in downtown Toronto. My room was on one of the higher floors. When I turned on the radio it didn't work. There were just random characters on the display. 

I glanced out the window and saw the CN tower just a short distance away. That gave me a clue as to what was going on. The strong RF field was messing up the circuitry in the radio. I collapsed the telescopic antenna down into the radio and then it worked.

Later that evening I turned on my laptop. Every time it would just boot up then crash. I wondered if the strong RF was doing something to the computer. I took it down into the lobby on the first floor and it worked fine.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 17, 2023 10:07 pm  #4

I've seen that happen myself with some digital portables. I have a 40 year old Grundig multiband set with an analogue dial as well as a digital frequency display.  That display will go squirrly if in a high RF field from an FM transmitter.  Interesting though regarding your laptop experience.  I have to wonder how the folks who live in all those condo's along the Gardiner Exp. cope with these intense fields off the CN Tower and BMO sites.