sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2017 6:27 pm  #1

The Vinyl Cafe host and author Stuart McLean dead at 68

[Via CBC]

Stuart McLean, bestselling author, humorist and host of CBC Radio's The Vinyl Cafe, died on February 15 at the age of 68, just over a year after his skin cancer diagnosis. McLean suspended his radio show in December 2016 to focus on cancer treatment.

For 40 years, McLean told stories on the radio. He began his career making documentaries for CBC Radio's Sunday Morning. In 1979, he won an ACTRA award for his work on a documentary about the Jonestown massacre.  McLean later joined CBC's Morningside as a columnist. He published his first book, a collection of essays from that column called The Morningside World of Stuart McLean, in 1989.

As the host of the variety show The Vinyl Cafe, McLean's storytelling talents entertained the country for over 20 years. Dave, Morley and the cast of fictional characters that populated his program were regular fixtures in Canadian homes. The show, beloved for its heart and humour, became an institution.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 15, 2017 6:51 pm  #2

Re: The Vinyl Cafe host and author Stuart McLean dead at 68

February 15, 2017 10:37 pm  #3

Cancer is a devastating sunnuva bitch. Sad to read about his passing. Beloved by many across Canada.

I sampled some of his work a few years back. I didn't find his storytelling to be all that captivating, a little to slow for my tastes. Boring might be another word to describe it. I don't intend for that comment to sound mean-spirited.

Interesting to see so many media outlets carrying the news.

February 16, 2017 10:49 am  #4

Fjiri wrote:

I didn't find his storytelling to be all that captivating, a little to slow for my tastes. Boring might be another word to describe it  

Compared to . . . ?

February 16, 2017 12:37 pm  #5

Very sad.

I have such fond memories of going to the Vinyl Cafe Christmas show tapings at Convocation Hall. Such a wonderful warm vibe and one of those uniquely Canadian experiences that everyone should have.  R.I.P. Stuart Mclean.