sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2023 9:21 pm  #1

A Memory For Mike Marshall

This was on a Facebook page about Hamilton rock history. It's pretty amazing - this was an A&W location in the Steel City and Mr. Marshall, apparently Michael in those early career days, was making a personal appearance. Wonder if he got a free Papa Burger?

November 11, 2023 10:01 pm  #2

Re: A Memory For Mike Marshall

An A&W restaurant franchise opened on Appleby Line in Burlington about 15 years ago...  The interior design of the seating area has numerous pictures of the Hamilton and Stoney Creek A&W locations on the walls. If I were to guess, these picture appear to be from the late 50s, and the early to mid 60s... Many of these picture murals are of 900 CHML Live location remotes.

November 11, 2023 11:19 pm  #3

Doesn't the lady on the left in the image - the one in the dark dress look like she is straight out of the 1920's? 

I know she's not but her head gear and dress - just the imagery - gives me that vibe.

Anyone else see that or am I nuts?

November 11, 2023 11:47 pm  #4

And the police officer's uniform also looks like something ancient. And yes, I noticed that, too.  

November 11, 2023 11:58 pm  #5

The woman on the left looks like a flapper. The police officer looks like what the British refer to as a "bobby". 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

November 12, 2023 12:25 am  #6

I have no idea what the pic's source is. Is anyone suggesting Photoshop is at work here?

November 12, 2023 1:12 am  #7

I suspect that the photo is real and captures some sort of publicity stunt. Paging Mr. Marshall ...

How could Hell be worse?

November 12, 2023 2:07 pm  #8

For the life of me, I don’t (as Ivanka was saying the other day) “recall” the reason for the Bobby getup.
Judging by the CHML sign in the window plugging “Michael Marshall” in Stoney Creek, it would have been
early days for me (1962) in Hamilton, when Tom Darling was still trying to decide whether it was going to
be Michael or Mike. It became Mike soon after.

This is a picture that’s been up here in two iterations. First time, believe posted by Don Daynard, was a tight
crop of me only, and then again in the much wider original pic with others in the photo, the one just posted by
RA. In that take, the woman nearest me was a CHML Hostess and the lady who appeared to be playing the
part of the “flapper” was (a guess) employed by A & W. The latter looks like she’s wearing an apron and is
carrying some root beer in some form out to a car.

Interesting, maybe not, there's an even wider shot, probably *thee* original that’s been up at A & W Appleby
Line Burlington for quite some time. A copy from another source? Possibly, from another Dub customer?
At this point, who knows?

November 12, 2023 4:02 pm  #9

This is purely a guess but is it possible they were having some kind of promotion when this photo was taken? "Prices like they were in the 20s!" That kind of thing. It would account for why there's an English bobby and a Roaring 20's flapper in the shot.

Although I doubt back in 1962, the prices were all that high - at least from a modern perspective. I don't have anything from A&W but here's a mid-60s menu from a long-lost chain called The Red Barn. Imagine seeing these prices today!

I suppose it's lost to history but at least the sign in the A&W window is interesting!

November 12, 2023 5:34 pm  #10

I stopped by both of the Burlington A&W locations on Walkers Line, and Appleby Line today...

Unfortunately, it appears that the interior design has been updated, and the large photo prints or murals of the "60s Drive In" themed A&W outlets are gone.

November 12, 2023 8:25 pm  #11

Red Barn had great fries.

November 12, 2023 9:20 pm  #12

The Weed wrote:

I have only fleeting memories of The Red Barn, even though we had one at the end of the street where I grew up. But it was my first exposure to so-called fast food, years before McDonald's crossed the border. I remember enjoying it, but I had no idea that they had grilled cheese and fish and chips, as well. But how come none of these places ever had hot dogs? 

November 13, 2023 9:34 am  #13

The Weed wrote:

Yes they did. My memories are hazy as I was very young the last time I had them, but I seem to remember they were kind of like McDonald's fries.

Incidentally, there is still a Red Barn building in Mississauga.  It's on Dundas about halfway between the 427 and Dixie Road. It has been a Mr. Sub for decades.

November 13, 2023 1:50 pm  #14

"Yes they did. My memories are hazy as I was very young the last time I had them, but I seem to remember they were kind of like McDonald's fries.

Incidentally, there is still a Red Barn building in Mississauga. It's on Dundas about halfway between the 427 and Dixie Road. It has been a Mr. Sub for decades."

That's the Red Ban I got my fries from. And, yes, they were like McDonald's fries now.

November 13, 2023 2:08 pm  #15

This matchbook cover is all I have left to prove this place even existed.

The Red Barn in Toronto

Last edited by RadioActive (November 13, 2023 2:10 pm)