sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2023 12:29 pm  #1

Why CFCO Chatham Was A Major Innovator

This article from a local Wallaceburg newspaper pays tribute to CFCO, the Chatham radio station that's been around since the 1920s. (The author reveals what the call letters stand for, which I never knew.)

"CFCO first graced the airwaves in 1926 at AM 630 and it has been on the air for the 97 years since then. In the ‘20s signal variance could fluctuate by up to 50 kilocycles above or below the actual broadcast numbers. So, you might find CFCO anywhere from AM 580 up to 680.

This was unacceptable to Jack and he devised a way to reduce the signal variance to 0 KC. This meant if you wanted CFCO, it was always at exactly 630 AM on your dial. CFCO was the first station in Canada to accomplish this and it was Jack’s innovation.  

CFCO was also the first station to have a government approved weather station and the first to create a transformer that converted AC current to DC directly from a wall outlet."

CFCO’s contributions to the airwaves

November 9, 2023 6:57 pm  #2

Re: Why CFCO Chatham Was A Major Innovator

"the first to create a transformer that converted AC current to DC directly from a wall outlet"

a curious statement since Edward (Ted) Rogers is generally acknowledged to be the first to develop the rectifier tube that converted AC current to DC

November 9, 2023 9:55 pm  #3

I grew up in the Owen Sound area. CFCO used to pound in there like a local, during the day.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 9, 2023 11:09 pm  #4

I think they are still broadcasting in AM stereo too.