sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2023 1:37 pm  #1

More Praise For CTV's Vassy Kapelos

I watch Question Period every week and every Sunday, I become more and more impressed by host Vassy Kapelos. The reason: she has an amazing BS detector and she's not afraid to call it out. 

On Sunday's show, for example, she had a Liberal and a Conservative on asking about the controversial carbon tax break for the east coast. Both gave typical self-serving bullshit answers about their positions and she didn't let either one get away with it, re-phrasing the question and asking again and again - and if necessary, even again - for them to explain what they meant. 

None of them really answered the queries, of course, but at least it became apparent to those watching that they were desperately dodging in any way they could. I only wish more reporters would go after all sides equally and not just accept the first response before moving onto something else. The fact that she treats both sides the same is refreshing. 

So if I were CTV (or CFRB) I'd start a new ad campaign promoting her shows, perhaps running one or two of those clips. and then end it very simply with this tagline:

"Vassy Kapelos. Vastly Compelling."

We need more like her. 

November 5, 2023 2:50 pm  #2

Re: More Praise For CTV's Vassy Kapelos

RadioActive wrote:

I watch Question Period every week and every Sunday, I become more and more impressed by host Vassy Kapelos. The reason: she has an amazing BS detector and she's not afraid to call it out. 

On Sunday's show, for example, she had a Liberal and a Conservative on asking about the controversial carbon tax break for the east coast. Both gave typical self-serving bullshit answers about their positions and she didn't let either one get away with it, re-phrasing the question and asking again and again - and if necessary, even again - for them to explain what they meant. 

None of them really answered the queries, of course, but at least it became apparent to those watching that they were desperately dodging in any way they could. I only wish more reporters would go after all sides equally and not just accept the first response before moving onto something else. The fact that she treats both sides the same is refreshing. 

So if I were CTV (or CFRB) I'd start a new ad campaign promoting her shows, perhaps running one or two of those clips. and then end it very simply with this tagline:

"Vassy Kapelos. Vastly Compelling."

We need more like her. 

Vassy is terrific, and you're right about her not letting mealy-mouthed politicians off the hook.
Her daily show is the best thing on 1010, by far.

November 6, 2023 12:18 am  #3

Agreed. Vassy is excellent. Her panel discussions are also very good.
   As with all good interviewers, you know a zinger is coming when she says, "But with all due respect..."

Last edited by dieter (November 6, 2023 12:21 am)

November 6, 2023 9:56 am  #4

I enjoy Power Play her weekday program on CTV News Channel.  It's live and often has breaking news within the show.  She features various panel discussions over the week.  Power Play and Vassy are a bit more freewheeling than on Question Period.  CBC News Network counters with Power and Politics, another good show for any political junkies.  

November 9, 2023 1:52 am  #5

She often repurposes interviews for the radio show the next day. She’s excellent on both.
My only complaint is that the radio show will play a clip from a newsmaker in the tee up segment of the show, then again before an interview related to the topic, then again at the start of the panel discussion and then again in the final segment of the show. Four times in a two hour show is a bit much. Otherwise the radio show is excellent.