sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2017 12:25 pm  #1

"World Radio Day" Marked Everywhere But Canada

What if they called a “World Radio Day” and nobody in Canada noticed? That’s apparently what’s happening in this country, after UNESCO first proclaimed February 13 World Radio Day way back in 2012, a supposed celebration of how much the medium has meant to countries big and small, First World and Third World around the globe.

They’ve created an interactive map that shows how this day is being celebrated. But what’s most interesting about it is that while there are dozens if not hundreds of events taking place around the planet, there’s absolutely not one anywhere in Canada. I wonder why that is.

Anyway, Happy World Radio Day.

At least somewhere.

===============

One site has published a list of quotes about radio. Here are some of my favourites:   

-I am amazed at radio DJ's today. I am firmly convinced that AM on my radio stands for Absolute Moron. I will not begin to tell you what FM stands for. - Jasper Carrott

-I loved being on the radio. Being paid to talk? It's like being paid to eat. - Rachel Maddow

-It's not true I had nothing on, I had the radio on. - Marilyn Monroe

-I watch a lot of baseball on the radio. - Gerald R. Ford

-Radio is called a medium because it is rare that anything is well done. - Fred Allen

-Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless. - Steve Allen

February 13, 2017 1:13 pm  #2

Re: "World Radio Day" Marked Everywhere But Canada

It was mentioned  at the end of World Report this morning on CBC radio this morning.

February 13, 2017 4:14 pm  #3

Re: "World Radio Day" Marked Everywhere But Canada

RadioActive wrote:

What if they called a “World Radio Day” and nobody in Canada noticed? That’s apparently what’s happening in this country, after UNESCO first proclaimed February 13 World Radio Day way back in 2012, a supposed celebration of how much the medium has meant to countries big and small, First World and Third World around the globe.

They’ve created an interactive map that shows how this day is being celebrated. But what’s most interesting about it is that while there are dozens if not hundreds of events taking place around the planet, there’s absolutely not one anywhere in Canada. I wonder why that is.

Anyway, Happy World Radio Day.

At least somewhere.

===============

One site has published a list of quotes about radio. Here are some of my favourites:   

-I am amazed at radio DJ's today. I am firmly convinced that AM on my radio stands for Absolute Moron. I will not begin to tell you what FM stands for. - Jasper Carrott

-I loved being on the radio. Being paid to talk? It's like being paid to eat. - Rachel Maddow

-It's not true I had nothing on, I had the radio on. - Marilyn Monroe

-I watch a lot of baseball on the radio. - Gerald R. Ford

-Radio is called a medium because it is rare that anything is well done. - Fred Allen

-Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless. - Steve Allen

More quotes...

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/quotes.html

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram