sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2023 9:06 pm  #1

Odd October Radio Ratings In Detroit

I don't know much about Detroit radio but I do look at the Detroit Radio Discussions forum and Michigan Buzzboard.  Both of these generally are not as active as SOWNY.  

What caught my eye was the October ratings which seemed strange for a city like Detroit.  The number one station last month was 97.1 The Ticket a sports station.  They had a 10.1 share with a cume of 700,800. The station is actually outside of Detroit and puts out 15,000 watts.  In July they had a 6.7 share.  They are the home of the Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings and Lions.  October marks the return of NFL football and looks like the ratings went up a lot from the summer.  

Also another that sticks out is WYCD FM a country outlet that was tied last month with the CHR mainstay WKQI Channel 95-5 for 2nd spot and a 7.2 share.  In July WKQI Channel 95-5 was pulling in a 9.6 and WYCD 5.4. 

Surprising that a country FM was tied for second spot in October in Detroit, even if only for one month.  Just a few months ago on the Buzzboard members were complaining that the Detroit area had too many country stations.  Two from the US and two from Ontario.

Also brought up was the the fact that Detroit doesn't have a station that plays much classic Motown or R&B oldies.  The one that plays the most urban oldies and Motown is CKWW in Windsor, but maybe not for much longer if it ever gets sold.   

Here are the October numbers for Detroit from Nielsen and Radio Discussions..https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb011

Last edited by paterson1 (November 1, 2023 9:12 pm)

November 2, 2023 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Odd October Radio Ratings In Detroit

paterson1 wrote:

I don't know much about Detroit radio but I do look at the Detroit Radio Discussions forum and Michigan Buzzboard.  Both of these generally are not as active as SOWNY.  

What caught my eye was the October ratings which seemed strange for a city like Detroit.  The number one station last month was 97.1 The Ticket a sports station.  They had a 10.1 share with a cume of 700,800. The station is actually outside of Detroit and puts out 15,000 watts.  In July they had a 6.7 share.  They are the home of the Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings and Lions.  October marks the return of NFL football and looks like the ratings went up a lot from the summer.

NFL could have something to do with it. Lions keep getting better, 6-2 on the season. Also, Stevie Y continues to
build the NHL franchise, currently 6-3-1 for 2nd in the Atlantic. Lots to talk about.

November 2, 2023 4:45 pm  #3

The country station shot up because their competitor was sold and became K-LOVE.

Sports stations' ratings will swing wildly based on whatever's happening with the local teams.

November 2, 2023 4:59 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

Sports stations' ratings will swing wildly based on whatever's happening with the local teams.

Agreed. This is why it is also good to compare to a year ago this time, not other seasons with other sports coverage.
Also to note who has the rights to what...same a year ago?   

Plus, the topic that be...about a player or whatever...?

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 2, 2023 5:00 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.