sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2023 11:44 pm  #1

How Ex-Fan590's "Stormin'" Norman Rumack Survived 3 Suicide Attempts

This astounding story from Howard Berger, another Fan 590 alumnus, paints a very disturbing yet somehow uplifting story about the former "Late Night Vampire," Stormin' Norman Rumack, who had fallen on some pretty hard times after his firing from the Rogers radio station following the 2008 recession. 

When he couldn't find another gig, he wound up working as a condo concierge and lost both of his parents, sending him into a despair that almost cost him his life three times in the last month. "I guess I’m not very good at suicide,” he laughed.

Berger recounts what's happened to the former all-night host since, including accidentally falling into a construction hole downtown and the hospital stay that followed. It's a sad story but also an amazing one of redemption and friendship. If you were ever a listener, it's a must read. 

Howard Berger: My Pal, Stormin' Norman Rumack

October 31, 2023 10:11 am  #2

Re: How Ex-Fan590's "Stormin'" Norman Rumack Survived 3 Suicide Attempts

Sorry to see this. I have wondered through the years where Stormin Norman ended up. Hopefully this leads to a better future for him. On a similar note, I also wish the best for Mike Stafford. 

October 31, 2023 11:15 pm  #3

I wish Norman nothing but the best. But I was not a fan of his on-air homer act.  Obviously I was not in the target demographic. I guess that's why I never heard of his Hammerhead Alert slogan, and have never seen even one of those T-shirts. It must have been the other half of the city which wore them.

November 1, 2023 3:11 pm  #4

Yes, I did hear him a few times -- enough to decide I wasn't a fan. I actually remember hearing him the night of Joe Carter's HR, rubbing it in the face of someone from Philly by playing the Tom Cheek call. But I don't remember hearing the hammerhead thing ever.